• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Obsession, leading to near stalking?

R

rocketdog

I wasn't sure which forum to put this in, but it seemed to be the most appropriate one, I apologise if I'm in the wrong place!

I can only ask this here since none of you know me!

I have the tendency to get full on obsessions with people. I want to be them. I want to be close to them, and I copy EVERYTHING about them, their clothing style, their handwriting, their behaviour. I want to become them.

It's got to such an extreme with one person that I was, pretty much stalking her. I changed the routes I walked places so I'd see her, I memorised what her bike looked like, and even now look out for it EVERYWHERE.
I'd do crazy things like find what I thought was one of her hairs and keep it in my wallet. And keep some change she once gave me.

I've had these major obsessions with people before, but never to that extent. What does this? What should I do?

I feel I should tell a doctor, I already see a therapist, for anxiety but I'm only seeing her twice more, and I don't want to get arrested. What are the laws on this kinda thing?

I dunno what to do :(

S

*Sapphire*

Hi rocketdog and :welcome: to the forum.

I hope you don't mind me asking but how old are you?

Do the people you seem to have obsessions with have anything in common? What is it about them that makes you feel you want to be so close to them?

It might be worth speaking to your therapist about it, they should know you better than we do here.

There are laws and consequences in the UK about stalking as I believe there are in other countries. It might be worth having a look at this link for them.

http://www.nss.org.uk/the-law-against-stalking-in-england-wales/

If you feel you are breaking the law it might be worth looking on the net at accounts of people who have been stalked as a deterrent to you, and thinking about the devastating consequences to them and their lives rather than the consequences to you. If you really hold these people on a pedastal then would you want to hurt them or their lives by stalking them?

I know this might feel hard to stop right now and well done for bringing this up, but I do think it is worth speaking to your therapist about it and perhaps looking at the reasons why you do it, as that may help you to stop.

Take care :)

E

eternaljourney

First step is that you've recognised that you've got a problem. Definitely say it to your therapist and ask for further help, if you can't say it write it.
For your own peace of mind you do need more help with this and the first step is admitting it. You know you're obsessional and someone has to listen and take you seriously.
Good Luck, Eternal x