Obsessing over the thought of being dead?

A

AaronE

So most people have at least a slight fear of dying, but has anybody ever convinced themselves that they in fact died, and that your normal life is the afterlife?

I will go into more detail. So yesterday, I had to change the electrical cord on the back of our dryer at home, because it had the wrong prongs for the outlet in our laundry room. In an extreme lapse of judgement, I decided it would be a good idea to plug the cord in, to make sure that the prongs matched the outlet... and obviously, a big spark of electricity shot out of the other end and scared the crap out of me. I didn't get shocked at all, but it definitely shook me up. After that happened, I had this crazy thought go through my head... "What if I actually did get shocked and it killed me, and now I am dead but this is some sort of weird parallel universe"?

Now my brain won't seem to let go of the thought. Everything is normal. I went to bed last night, woke up this morning, drove to work and everything is great. But I still can't shake that creepy thought that I might be dead. I am sure that this is just another way of my OCD trying to mess with me, and I'm sure that all I need to do is accept the thought for what it is and it will go away. I am just curious to hear anyone else's' stories if they've ever dealt with anything similar.

I hope everyone is having a good day!

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

If you'd died from that, you wouldn't be driving around doing normal things, if there's something after this life you would be somewhere better than this place :hug:

Sadkittygirl1928

Sadkittygirl1928

YES YES YES! I get this SO bad. I will 100% think I have died, especially after a panic attack or dissociation or psychogenic seizure, or trauma this happens to me a lot and I have felt so alone with it.
I seriously get the "______and it killed me, and now I am dead but this is some sort of weird parallel universe"? with any traumatic/scary event, like a bad marijuana reaction or seizure or allergic reaction, fainting, etc.. I even just sometimes get paranoid and sit and wonder "what if I died ___ years ago, and I am in the afterlife, and this is what its like and everyone is sad and morning me but I have no idea?" I start to dissociate and panic and then I think I am dying its a mess...
I have a hard time "proving" life exists, or that I exist stuff starts to get blurry and floaty its weird

OCDguy

OCDguy

Someone once said if you cut yourself do you not bleed, and if you injure yourself do you not feel pain? How many times can you in theory die then?

A

AaronE

YES YES YES! I get this SO bad. I will 100% think I have died, especially after a panic attack or dissociation or psychogenic seizure, or trauma this happens to me a lot and I have felt so alone with it.
I seriously get the "______and it killed me, and now I am dead but this is some sort of weird parallel universe"? with any traumatic/scary event, like a bad marijuana reaction or seizure or allergic reaction, fainting, etc.. I even just sometimes get paranoid and sit and wonder "what if I died ___ years ago, and I am in the afterlife, and this is what its like and everyone is sad and morning me but I have no idea?" I start to dissociate and panic and then I think I am dying its a mess...
I have a hard time "proving" life exists, or that I exist stuff starts to get blurry and floaty its weird
Well I am glad I am not the only one! It's definitely a weird feeling, but I have been trying to keep it in my mind that there's not a damn thing I can do about it, so I have to roll with the punches. It's not as bad as it was yesterday, but my mind will come back to it every once in a while and I'll get anxiety butterflies haha. What a strange thought eh?! Thanks for your response :)