• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Obsessed with the past

V

Von

This may be age-related (I'm 50) but I am totally obsessed with my earlier life, especially uni.

I'm on anti-d's, coping with teenage son with history of self harm and drug abuse though he's relatively stable at the moment, but I spend every evening in tears desperately wanting to "go back".

Does anyone else suffer from this?

L

Lady Summer Isles

This may be age-related (I'm 50) but I am totally obsessed with my earlier life, especially uni.

I'm on anti-d's, coping with teenage son with history of self harm and drug abuse though he's relatively stable at the moment, but I spend every evening in tears desperately wanting to "go back".

Does anyone else suffer from this?
Hi Von and :welcome:
I'm 50 in a couple of weeks time and like you on anti -d's and other meds. I'm not entirely obsessed with the past but feel a lot of my probs are associated with the past and wish I could go back and change things as most people do I suppose. People on here are very friendly and there is usually someone online to talk to.
hugs:hug:

SimonB

SimonB

I often wish I could go back and change things, undo whats done.....

S

skyblue

I'm 34 and I so wish I could change my past. I had many major problems thrown at me in my earlier years and wasn't able to deal with them, instead I used to try and escape by self destruction.
Thank god I've changed my ways now and I'm beginning to change my life around.

I think though Von, you are explaining about your uni years to have been pleasurable and happy times and that you wish you could go back to those happy years ? (Or have I read your post wrong ?)

I'm sorry to hear about your sadness and difficulties, it must be very hard seeing your son going through this.

I hope you feel better soon Von and hope that your son over comes his difficulties soon.

:flowers:

V

Von

Thanks so much for your replies, it does help to know there are people out there when you are feeling alone.

I'm so lucky that I had a wonderful childhood and early-mid adulthood, which is why I suppose I want to go back. The worst times then were better than the best times now, if that makes sense! And it's not just rose-tinted spectacles, I really was a fortunate woman. Even then though, I "felt" things so deeply that it really hurt, whether it was good or bad and I often think I'm very mildly bi-polar but it's never been debilitating enough for me to get help for it.

Does anyone know if manic depression runs in families? Like I say, it's only a very mild form if I have it but my dad is the same and I'm wondering if my son could be the same. He's just been prescribed Prozac by his psychiatrist who feels that a return to olanzapine isn't necessary, but he needs something for his many anxieties.

There is only one thing I'd change in my life but that's from the past 10 years, and that is remarrying, which is where my poor son's problems started. I'm widowed now, and the experience of going through the death of an alcoholic has left its mark on both me and my son. Not pretty, not pleasant, and my son started self harming because of the guilt he felt in not having liked his step-dad much. No matter how much I told him that there was nothing wrong with him not liking my late husband, it changed nothing for him.

Sorry for waffling on, it's just so nice to be able to "speak" to people who can understand the living hell of the mind when it won't play ball.

Thanks again

S

skyblue

Thanks so much for your replies, it does help to know there are people out there when you are feeling alone.

I'm so lucky that I had a wonderful childhood and early-mid adulthood, which is why I suppose I want to go back. The worst times then were better than the best times now, if that makes sense! And it's not just rose-tinted spectacles, I really was a fortunate woman. Even then though, I "felt" things so deeply that it really hurt, whether it was good or bad and I often think I'm very mildly bi-polar but it's never been debilitating enough for me to get help for it.

Does anyone know if manic depression runs in families? Like I say, it's only a very mild form if I have it but my dad is the same and I'm wondering if my son could be the same. He's just been prescribed Prozac by his psychiatrist who feels that a return to olanzapine isn't necessary, but he needs something for his many anxieties.

There is only one thing I'd change in my life but that's from the past 10 years, and that is remarrying, which is where my poor son's problems started. I'm widowed now, and the experience of going through the death of an alcoholic has left its mark on both me and my son. Not pretty, not pleasant, and my son started self harming because of the guilt he felt in not having liked his step-dad much. No matter how much I told him that there was nothing wrong with him not liking my late husband, it changed nothing for him.

Sorry for waffling on, it's just so nice to be able to "speak" to people who can understand the living hell of the mind when it won't play ball.

Thanks again
Hi Von,

Yes Bi-polar does run in the family. I have Bipolar and I believe my dad has it,(he hasn't been diagnosed though) he's now a recovered alcoholic but still suffers from his depressions. He's only recently started to talk about his depression, he's always suffered in silence, but he's now receiving alittle help from his doctor which i'm pleased about.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband and the difficulties your son is having, it sounds like he's going through a really tough time right now and he could probably benefit from some councelling aswell as the medication he's being prescribed. I'm a mother myself and this must be heartbreaking for you, but you shouldn't feel guilty either for the way he's feeling - It's not your fault.:hug:

Don't feel that you're waffling or going on because you aren't, this is what this site is for - Keep talking if it helps and we'll all try and support if we can. This site is a life line for many, including myself, as I don't really have anybody else to talk to that understands. I do have my dad, but of course he worries and I don't want him to worry over me.

Look after yourself Von,.. wishing you and your son well.:flowers:

M

mylife

I am young what do you suggest I do so when I get 50 I don’t obsessed with the past I am 18 now