• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Obsessed with food!

G

george81

Hello everyone! I’m currently restricting my calories. I’ve realised I’ve become obsessed with food, I’ve actually started dreaming of food and constantly think about it, look at recipes and cooking books/websites. Is this normal, is it what happens when you restrict calories? X

JessisMe

JessisMe

It happens to me. I start googling recipes and watching cooking shows on YouTube.

G

george81

Strange, isn’t it? I think about food all the time. Calculating and working out x

JessisMe

JessisMe

it is strange. i’ve found some great recipes this way.

P

Purpleplum

Please do not restrict your calories. Your body has a defense mechanism when it feels starvation and that has the mind become obsessed with food. This is in us so that we survived.

Also, when you are restricting, your body will slow it's metabolism. Again this is for it's survival.

So see, restricting doesn't work. It can easily lead to bingeing.

Replace the junk food you were eating with the same amount of healthy food and you will be full, not think of food and will lose weight. Also get exercise like taking a walk.

L

Lizaje

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I understand you've been restricting for quite some time and if that's the case then, yes it's quite normal. I've had it too but rarely. It's not something that just happens when you restrict calories, but it happens to such an extent as with you, when you're constantly depriving yourself of food.

G

george81

Thank you all for your kind replies. I’ve been restricting seriously now for nearly 9 months now and just recently noticed how much I think about food. I count the calories in everything I eat and keep a journal so I can write it all down and make sure I don’t go over my daily allowance. I lowered my daily allowance recently as I was worried about putting on weight since starting on citalopram. It gives me a buzz to see my weight dropping, it feels like the only achievement I have and gives me control.

L

Lizaje

ACCOUNT CLOSED
No, it is not inaccurate.
Yes, it is. You literally said, 'restricting doesn't work,' I assume you meant something other than that literally. Because you can't actually believe it, right?

L

Lizaje

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thank you all for your kind replies. I’ve been restricting seriously now for nearly 9 months now and just recently noticed how much I think about food. I count the calories in everything I eat and keep a journal so I can write it all down and make sure I don’t go over my daily allowance. I lowered my daily allowance recently as I was worried about putting on weight since starting on citalopram. It gives me a buzz to see my weight dropping, it feels like the only achievement I have and gives me control.
Anorexia? Thought of getting help for it?

G

george81

Anorexia? Thought of getting help for it?
Hello there, no I haven’t thought of getting help. I don’t think it’s anorexia or anything else, besides no one really cares anyway so I have no desire or motivation to change. The worry of putting on weight far outweighs the desire to change. There is nothing to do better for

P

Purpleplum

Yes, it is. You literally said, 'restricting doesn't work,' I assume you meant something other than that literally. Because you can't actually believe it, right?
I choose not to argue.

L

Lizaje

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello there, no I haven’t thought of getting help. I don’t think it’s anorexia or anything else, besides no one really cares anyway so I have no desire or motivation to change. The worry of putting on weight far outweighs the desire to change. There is nothing to do better for
I'm not a doctor, but that sounds like anorexia nervosa. Have you considered that one day you can't afford to lose weight — I.e. your body will begin to fail?