• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Obsessed with an actor. Become extremely depressed

O

Orangeade

So this is my first time posting to anything like this and i dont know if i will get any responses. But from a young age, i have been obsessed with certain things, when i was younger i was obsessed with the movie Grease and i would make folders for each of the actors. But as i got older, it has mainly been female actresses as i realised i was gay (my current obsession has come out as they/them) This actor was in a tv show that was a w/w couple, so i was
Highly interested. Over time i have become obsessed and i cant get through the day anymore. I have these thoughts like if i cant meet them or have them in my life, then whats the point. I also have diagnosed as a manic depressive and bpd, so that it obviously contributing to it to make it worse. I stopped checking their social media as it has been hard for me, but i have recently discovered a thread for them yesterday and have become even more depressed because i obviously consumed it. Ive read on here people say, oh find someone to connect with or friends, but to me ir doesnt matter, i cant speak with friends because i will just be depressed and still think about the actor. Currently now i am out and in the car crying as i type this. Distractions i used before arent helping and i dont know what to do. I will be alone soon, for most of the day and i dont know what to do. I will be grateful, if anyone sees this and replies back or private messages me. I am so depressed, i dont know what to do

O

Orangeade

hi ,welcome ,hope you will like it here x Lu x
So i’m really struggling rn and ive rung loads of help lines and they dont do anything for me. I had a nurse call me and book a slot for a hospital appointment and my mum found out and shes not happy. Calling them up to cancel them and says i belong at home but she is shouting at me and in the back of mind im thinking about that actor. Its ruining my life, i need help

T E_90

T E_90

Hi, I've never heard of this kind of obsessions, but this link might help you
Good luck

O

Orangeade

Ive woken up this morning even worse. Why cant i just stop thinking about them, its ruining my life. I cant even think back to a time when i was happy and normal. Everything revolves around them
In brain. I JUST CANT DO IT ANYMORE

K

Keesha

Hi, I've never heard of this kind of obsessions, but this link might help you
Good luck
This is a great link @T E_90.

Sometimes we have to sincerely consider what we invest our thoughts and feelings in and decide whether it’s a good investment or not.

Why do you idolize celebrities?
What do you find so attractive about certain celebrities?
Do you like their lifestyle?
Or perhaps it’s just the fantasy you appreciate.

Do you like to read?
Finding something healthy to distract yourself with is a good idea.

Nobody can make you think about other things. Maybe it’s time to find yourself a different hobby.

What are your interests besides obsessing over someone you can never have?

O

Orangeade

Ive tried to distract myself, but i always end up thinking about them. Its so hard, i wish i could just stop and get a new brain

K

Keesha

Ive tried to distract myself, but i always end up thinking about them. Its so hard, i wish i could just stop and get a new brain
Did you read the article offered?
Have you considered any of the suggestions?

What things have you tried to distract yourself with?

O

Orangeade

I’ve read those loads of times, but nothing i seem to do works for me. My brain is to powerful to cope and i used to watch tv and go for walks, which ive done. But ive just been more hysterical, i just really see no way out for me, as im typing this now im having a panic attack

T E_90

T E_90

This is a great link @T E_90.

Sometimes we have to sincerely consider what we invest our thoughts and feelings in and decide whether it’s a good investment or not.

Why do you idolize celebrities?
What do you find so attractive about certain celebrities?
Do you like their lifestyle?
Or perhaps it’s just the fantasy you appreciate.

Do you like to read?
Finding something healthy to distract yourself with is a good idea.

Nobody can make you think about other things. Maybe it’s time to find yourself a different hobby.

What are your interests besides obsessing over someone you can never have?
Thanks, at least someone have considered my post..

O

Orangeade

I am at my wits end, i just want it to stop. I got some emergency diazepam, but im scared to take it. U have to have a full stomach and im so anxious all the time. I just tried to eat 2 bananas and i threw them up just now. I just want to be put away and out of my misery

K

Keesha

I’ve read those loads of times, but nothing i seem to do works for me. My brain is to powerful to cope and i used to watch tv and go for walks, which ive done. But ive just been more hysterical, i just really see no way out for me, as im typing this now im having a panic attack
The mind is very powerful. If you think nothing will help you, you’re right.
You get out of life the effort you put into it. If there’s no effort, there’s no result.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I used to be a bit like this. From age 12 onwards. Ironically, it was also Grease that I was obsessed with (just Olivia Newton-John though). After her, it was Winona Ryder when I was 13. Then Julia Roberts when I was 14. Then Michelle Pfeiffer and Jodie Foster when I was 15. Then...I can't even remember, but I know Meryl Streep and Goldie Hawn were in there somewhere. After my teens, my interest switched to singers. Again, always women. At 18 I got together with my best friend and realised I was gay (and now, many years later, I've realised I'm bi).

While I was obsessed, I would read every single thing I could about them, watch all their movies, and literally cry myself to sleep because I loved them SO MUCH.

But, for me...3 things that differ from your situation...

1. I would get bored of one obsession after a few months or occasionally even a few years and then move on to someone else. I never lost interest on purpose and I could never control with whom or when I'd develop a new obsession,

2. My obsessions brought me enjoyment and pleasure. I would feel more alive and happy (even with the crying thing), and when the obsessions would fade, I'd feel sad, depressed and bored, and

3. I have BPD also and I now, in hindsight, view my celebrity obsessions as a more passive / distant version of what is now termed as having a "Favourite Person". It's similar to the obsessions I've felt before, but the feelings are directed at real people in my life.