• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

OA Meeting- anyone been to one?

L

lilyc25

Has anyone ever been to an OA meeting?

Went to one last night- really interested to see what you all thought?

S

*Sapphire*

I have never been to one, but I'd be interested to know what your experience of it was like? :)

L

lilyc25

It was odd.

Imagine an AA meeting that you would see on an american tv show and thats pretty much it. Dont let that put you off. It was weird but they said a lot of things that I could identify with.

I also found that a lot of problems I had associated with my depression were a problem for those people talking about their compulsive overeating and bulimia. It was nice to know that what I feel around food and being overweight is pretty normal for some people. They were really supportive- like I had known them forever.

I am not sure if it is for me yet but I am gonna give it a chance. And I would advise anyone to give it a try- what have you got to lose.

A

Apotheosis

I know people that go & who have gone to OA & SA meetings. I have attended a lot of NA, AA, & CA meetings in the past. Now mainly I just do the odd NA meeting.

Whatever faults people level at 12 step groups; & I do share some of the criticisms; no one can rationally deny that a lot of people are helped immensely by such organisations.

S

*Sapphire*

I have been to a few meetings run by the Eating Disorder Association or B-EAT as they are now known in different areas, they are run differently to the ones run by OA I think. There is more of a discussion rather than one person at a time giving their own 'speech' on their experiences. And they are largely run by people who have had experience of an ED, not qualified persons. And you don't get a 'sponsor'.

I personally found the EDA/B-EAT largely depressing and unhelpful to be honest, but I know others have found them helpful.

It would be great if there was a drop in group that was free to all that was led by a qualified therapist, that talked about practical things you can do, but I guess that would be difficult. I know of a service up north somewhere, I can't for the life of me find it on the web now, but I will add if I do. But they are leaning towards this and have had a lot of success.

I guess different things work for different people though and as you said, you really have nothing to lose by trying different approaches.

L

lilyc25

Went to my second meeting on Friday and am really glad I did. Now that I have gotten used to it I really think it will help. And listening to other peoples success stories was really great. I would recomend anyone to give it a try and see- you got nothing to lose.

K

Kate31

OA

Hi,

OA has anorexics/bulimics/ed nos / binge-eaters and helped me a lot, i went 2x weekly for about 5 years & found it a safe place where i could leave ed at the door and talk/support others too...

in the end though i found that i struggled as the majority were overeaters and eventually i was the only anorexic but i did make good friendships and when i wasn't in treatment meetings kept me going...

dib4uk

dib4uk

Hello all,

I've never been to an OE/Binge eating support network, but I would like to attend to see what its like and to see if i have similar problems with my food and the relationship i have with it- like others do regardless of the persons weight etc.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Hmmm..

I ve had a B-eat group suggested to me as a form of support. I am very overweight but would really like some support but am afaid of going to B-eat as I am overweight if that makes sense

MarcAntony

MarcAntony

Support networks are HUGE for recovery and helping you stay the course. I haven't participated in one, but I have several friends who have...and they all had great things to say about them.

L

lilyc25

Update

Just thought I would give an update on what I have experienced after 5 months in OA.

The first 3/4 meetings were really odd and the mention of God scared me off but I kept going back. The idea is that you follow the 12 step programme (as in AA) in your everyday life and work on the reasons behind your eating. There is very little mention of food within the programme. No-one is telling you what to eat or not, or how much to eat- it is barely discussed.

When it comes to God I was really freaked out as I was an atheist. But it’s not about God. It’s a spiritual Programme. It is about a Higher Power- however YOU view it. I still have a few problems with that area of recovery but I am working on it and by allowing my Higher Power to take control of my eating I have lost 17lbs in the past month.

I no longer think about food all the time and eat just for the sake of it. I even lost weight over Christmas where I would normally have put on at least half a stone. And the best thing is that I am not even trying to control my food. I am reading OA literature, talking to other overeaters, talking to my Higher Power and looking at my feelings.

I would suggest that anyone who has a problem with food, be it overeating, anorexia or bulimia, to give it a try and not to quit until you have attended at least 6 meetings- It really does work!!!!

And I am not saying it is all easy but I can’t believe how much better I feel about myself and am making progress!

S

*Sapphire*

I'm so pleased you got something from it lilyC5, it's always wonderful to hear of any success when trying to overcome EDs. Well done you!