• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Numbers

M

mxm

Does anyone else see numbers and think more of them than the usual?
I don't have any explanation for this and I'm not really afraid of it but certain numbers seem to come up in my life over and over again. Its been happening for about 8 years. Its like they follow me where ever I go. I have no idea what they mean. I'm crazy they tell me :D

Particular numbers can come up over and over in the same day and I just shake my head in disbelief. All I can think is that something somewhere is trying to tell me something, no idea what or if its good or bad, just that its there.

I saw this film, 'The Nines' recently. That has a bit of a number thing going on but I don't think it offers me much explanation. Its a great film anyway, loved it.

M

mxm

Misuse of the word crazy. I've got so used to people laughing at my unusual ideas and calling me crazy that I have thought that it was funny. I've no idea how to say things anyway unless I think about it for a long time before I say anything. People tell me I speak slow as it is. I'm sick of feeling insecure / angry / oversensitive. I'm just saying it. Anyway that's enough of that cr?p.

M

mxm

Thanks for the recent posts in another thread about numerology. These were:

http://www.crystalinks.com/11.11.html
http://www.angelscribe.com/1111.html

I've been thinking about this a lot again yesterday and today because my days have been teeming with one particular number again.

Its not the 11:11 one that seems to be common but I find that very interesting.

I find it very difficult to believe that these numbers actually mean something or are somehow a sign for me to follow but I find it much more difficult to believe that its just imagination or co-incidence because they really do seem to occur far too frequently to be just random.

M

mxm

I don't know if this makes any sense in numerology but one thing I have noticed about my two main numbers after reading those links. And that is if you add the digits of each number together they equal the same value for both numbers and that value is the same number of the day I was born. Maybe I'm reading too much into this anyway.

A

Apotheosis

Does anyone else see numbers and think more of them than the usual?
I do think that there is something in it. Numbers that have a personal significance for me are 3 & 7.

It isn't uncommon for people to have 'number systems'. I have a good friend who allocates numbers for people - & based on which numbers are lucky & which ones aren't; will behave in a certain way based on the use of numbers.

I have another friend who places great significance on the number 23. It is a number which has involved me in superstition over the years too.

Is this stuff pathological? It appears that people have all kinds of superstitious beliefs. From black cats, bad luck from breaking mirrors, touching wood, & all manor of foibles & superstitious beliefs.

Is there rhyme & reason to it all?

Mathematical systems can be applied to the natural World. There may well be certain attributes intrinsic to certain numbers & number combinations. Who knows?

M

mxm

For me, I don't think its about a belief I had previously. I hadn't heard anything about numerology before, I wasn't in to maths and I didn't use number systems but certain number seems to have come to me with out me looking for them.

I don't think they are lucky numbers just ones that come up frequently. On the clock if I look at it, on a table if I sit at one, my position in a queue if I get a ticket number, things like that over and over, dates of things in particular.

Is this stuff pathological, I guess that's one of the questions I'm thinking about.

I can see now how numbers are in everything, in the natural world, in geology, in the underlying structure of everything but what I don't know is why I'm seeing certain numbers myself.

Maybe its:
My imagination, its not really happening.
I'm seeing some kind of geometric construct in things.
Synchronicities.
A sign from the spirit world.
Part of my genetic path way.

A

Apotheosis

Maybe its:
My imagination, its not really happening.
I'm seeing some kind of geometric construct in things.
Synchronicities.
A sign from the spirit world.
Part of my genetic path way.
One aspect of what could be happening is this - We develop very powerful 'scotomas' - There is a massive amount of information coming in through our senses & being processed by the mind. Most of this is filtered out. We are only consciously aware of a tiny percent of what we are actually perceiving. What we see & acknowledge is based largely on our beliefs, opinions & attitudes -

Take a simple example. Say if we are very interested in 'red Honda's' you will start to see them.

Say I believe that all men with long hair can't be trusted (as an example it could be anything). I will look for & match anything I perceive with that belief; & acknowledge anything I 'see' that matches that belief. Anything that does not match that belief I will discard, ignore & play down. To a degree we do literally see what we believe. It is a very good idea to be aware of what our scotomas are; & how our 'belief systems' colour experience.

Synchronous things do happen. Jung noted it a lot. There is truth & meaning beyond the coincidental I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity

It does tie into the 'Spiritual'. My own perspectives are very much centred around 'the Other'. The Jury is out on the nature of Reality.

Last edited:
M

mxm

Because of the frequency of real occurrences on significant things, I still find it hard to believe that its internal of me and not external. I'm not going to post examples but if you think its interesting enough, I will pm.

But yeah, the scotomas theory makes a lot of sense. Maybe my number coincided with a couple of big events and it made me subconsciously look for it after that.

Another one I thought after was maybe I am searching for meaning in things because a lot of it seems meaningless.

A

Apotheosis

I'm not nihilistic - I see vast meaning in life & the Universe.

But it is a good question as to how much we impart meaning onto things from a subjective perspective. & as to how much 'things' have an intrinsic meaning. But it can be well argued that reality is more subjective than anything else anyway.

M

mxm

Nihilistic! Yeah I see what you mean. I didn't even realise what I was saying, I'm clumsy like that most of the time. I suppose there is vast meaning in everything, it just feels like there isn't so much of that at the moment. More to the point its my life that feels meaningless, not the whole universe.

M

mxm

:confused:

Thinking about it more now, its even more to the point that I am Nihilistic some times.

Its not a scientific belief or a cognitive calculation though.

Its a feeling I get some times, a consuming feeling.

I feel nihilistic when I feel depressed. Do you not get like that?

Maybe the universe is trying to give me or show me meaning in my life through a number. I hope so.

A

Apotheosis

:confused:

Thinking about it more now, its even more to the point that I am Nihilistic some times.

Its not a scientific belief or a cognitive calculation though.

Its a feeling I get some times, a consuming feeling.

I feel nihilistic when I feel depressed. Do you not get like that?

Maybe the universe is trying to give me or show me meaning in my life through a number. I hope so.
http://www.counterorder.com/

Not in the true sense of the word, but I can get into a place which seems very negative & pointless; but that is more on a personal/subjective level, with my own life; not with what I think about things in a wider perspective.

I think that if we are open to certain things & look, then life & the Universe does show us things.