• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Numbers o Assaults in NHS services 2013/14

shaky

shaky

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Documents/SecurityManagement/Reported_Physical_Assaults_2013-14.pdf

I looked at this and noticed that my local mental health trust has the second highest rate of assaults (per 1000 staff) in the country!
What are they doing wrong here?

Admittedly, all but one of these was classed as being connected to the medical state of the assaulter (e.g. that he/she did not know what they were doing was wrong)
But people in mental hospital or under the care of MH teams shouldn't be getting so desperate as to assault someone in the first place.
I find this rather disturbing

L

lovagemuffin

all pisshead having drank to much got in a fight and police take them to a and e where the nurses have to deal with all the druken/drugged up fuckwits.

L

lovagemuffin

their often seems to be a couple of police men there doing nothing to help too.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I can't tell whether my area is high or low.
It seems pretty high when you look at the number of assaults but then again, it's a big county and so is serving a larger number of people than some other Trusts.

Must say, I do agree with what you're saying about people being treated for mental health issues shouldn't be allowed to get so desperate they'll resort to assaulting someone.

I don't know if verbal incidents like would be classed as assault or whether you'd have to clout someone to get into the statistics?

I appreciate NHS staff do an incredibly difficult, demanding job and don't deserve to be assaulted.
But yeah, i've told an A&E nurse to fuck off and threatened a nurse in an acute psychiatric ward before. I'm not proud of my actions, but anybody who knows me would tell you I have to be absolutely pushed to extremes before I turn nasty.
There is a huge lack of compassion and understanding when it comes to mental health.

E

earthbound_misfit

all pisshead having drank to much got in a fight and police take them to a and e where the nurses have to deal with all the druken/drugged up fuckwits.
Er - no. It's specifically about MENTAL health trusts, not random attendances at A&E.
And "... all but one of these was classed as being connected to the medical state of the assaulter (e.g. that he/she did not know what they were doing was wrong)"

E

earthbound_misfit

I don't know if verbal incidents like would be classed as assault or whether you'd have to clout someone to get into the statistics?
I'm not 100% sure how they measure it officially. However I was recorded as being "violent" by the CMHT as shouting is against the NHS zero-tolerace policy so it all gets lumped together. (Angry with good cause, I may add!) Whether that's just an excuse to blacklist patients (this was pre-2007 with a diagnosis of BPD, when it was still permitted to exclude people for the diagnosis alone) or whether they actually record it as violence when reporting back, I don't know.

|||ME|||

|||ME|||

I'd quite like to see results for how many patients are assaulted by staff ... but oh no, no-one bothers to see about that ... in fact most assaults in these facilities aren't even called assault but go by the euphemism of "treatment".

I think one thing to note is that blaming it on people's medical conditions isn't anything like the full story. Many of those individuals weren't assaulting people outside of hospital.

So what is about being kidnapped, incarcerated and baited by staff that makes people so scared or angry their chances of lashing out increase exponentially? hmmmm????????

E

earthbound_misfit

I think one thing to note is that blaming it on people's medical conditions isn't anything like the full story. Many of those individuals weren't assaulting people outside of hospital.
This is a very good point. I know the one time I was in hospital, for three days, I was just totally 'mad', different from normal. Also the professionals are convinced I have problems in relationships, even though for some reason those problems only appear in relationships with them!

|||ME|||

|||ME|||

This is a very good point. I know the one time I was in hospital, for three days, I was just totally 'mad', different from normal. Also the professionals are convinced I have problems in relationships, even though for some reason those problems only appear in relationships with them!
When you look at what's happening in those situations it's really not surprising people don't have good relationships with them. They do distressing things to people.