• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

number 5 is alive

W

wannabegooroo

anyone want an uplifting discussion on schizoaffective and trying to survive in an often cold world?

life2live

life2live

ACCOUNT CLOSED
yeah go for it

W

wannabegooroo

hoping for contributors to stimulate the neurons :), not just commenters :)

life2live

life2live

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Shizoaffective my understanding is a mixture of several psychotic disorders including psychophrenia. I was given this diagnosis once but then they changed it again. How on earth did you find it an uplifting experience?

W

wannabegooroo

it got so bad, I was forced to adapt to it, it took years to shift the perspective

life2live

life2live

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeah I bet it did, how did you shift it?

W

wannabegooroo

the emotional pain did, but I used a lot of meta analysis, philosophy, religion, science and tried to be more accepting of my mixed feelings/thoughts regards the unfulfilled wishes and limitations it imposed on my life, the analysis I did was focused on my past and "fear"

life2live

life2live

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Did you manage to kick medication?

W

wannabegooroo

getting off the meds are mostly ego or pride based, the reactions of "schizoaffective" are natural ones, I am prone to think that they are survival mechs, the world is a cold and dangerous place, the defense mechs of the ego are needed, mental illness is excarbated by stress (including normal work stress on the body/brain and anxiety or fear, from dealing with unsavoury characters etc. The meds aren't the big issue mostly, it's your opinion of yourself in regards to them, ie how you associate them. A doctor took me off the antipsychotics, I had been on them for more than a decade.

W

wannabegooroo

I am not anti psychiatry or anti doctors, I am not anti the natural reactions of my body to stress or anxiety, its hard to accept the limitations, and you will always have mixed emotions. The drugs will help to manage your emotional pain, but won't "cure" you. I am more understanding that it can't be be sunshine or rain all the time...I know that song

life2live

life2live

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I was left comatose by the drugs

W

wannabegooroo

sorry to hear about that :), you can "use" your emotional pain....it can be used to stimulate... it has a use in evolution, the "negative" emotions are just as important as the "positive" ones

W

wannabegooroo

but from a more emotional view, it is hard, cruel and unfair

life2live

life2live

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Is that what you did, tell us your story how did you find your way out?