• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Numb and Detached

T

tornadoesofthoughts

Hi :sorry:

I am just wondering if anyone could help. I am just feeling really numb and detached today and the self harm urges are really...really bad. I already have one scar on me on my arm, don't know what to say to people....what do you do when you feel numb and detached?

I am trying to figure out what alternative things I can do.

Jonwal

Jonwal

I sit on this forum and I phone up people sometimes or I have a bath or go out for a little walk anything to stop me feeling low. I phone my cpn. It's really hard and I feel like giving in. I think the best thing u can do is try and go somewhere where u can b with someone who gives off good vibrations and just search for that connection. Sorry u feel this way :( I feel low too

T

tornadoesofthoughts

I texted my CPN but she didn't reply. Not sure what to do, I have been doing some drawing of how I feel. Watching TV, but it all seems a bit hollow... :(

S

Suicidal_Cinderella

Hello,
I feel completely the same way today, it's awful. I have severe self harm urges as well. If you can, throw your self harm tools away. Call up a friend to come over, or go out for lunch with someone. Just try to be around people so that you're safe. Try writing a poem or just writing out how you feel in general.

Stay Safe <3

T

tornadoesofthoughts

I took a bath to relax but I am wide awake, are you feeling better? <3

S

secretsurvivor1

I suffer from this. I have just finished a course that covered this so here are some suggestions to get you out of the numb empty state and back into your body without self-harming;

(1) plunge hands in icy cold water as long as you can bear it, repeat until you feel more in your body.
(2) elastic band on wrist, pull back as far as you can and let it snap onto the inside of your wrist, count to 10 with your whole attention on the sensation. Repeat until in your body.
(3) Try a difficult mind exercise that needs concentrating, like counting back from 100 in 3s. Or speaking a foreign language, reciting a poem, naming items one for each letter of the alphabet. STart again until you are back.
(4) Put a sweet, or raisin in your mouth. Hold it there, do not chew, notice everything about it, texture taste, consume it as slowly as possible with your whole attention.
(5) listen to, look at or watch something with you full attention, as if you are going to have to draw it or describe it afterwards. eg how a teabag slowly brews, how blinds move in the breeze, listen to all the noise around.
(6) rip up newspaper as thick as you can manage, over and over
(7) Pay full and perfect attention to a task, doing it very very slowly and carefully,
eg washing up, brushing teeth or hair. listen with your entire attention to 1 song playing on repeat;
learn every word, every instrumental, know it fully.

These ideas should bring you back to earth and calm you harmlessly.
If these don't work;
ask for help
ask for help
and ask for help again.

V

Verity

I suffer from this. I have just finished a course that covered this so here are some suggestions to get you out of the numb empty state and back into your body without self-harming;

(1) plunge hands in icy cold water as long as you can bear it, repeat until you feel more in your body.
(2) elastic band on wrist, pull back as far as you can and let it snap onto the inside of your wrist, count to 10 with your whole attention on the sensation. Repeat until in your body.
(3) Try a difficult mind exercise that needs concentrating, like counting back from 100 in 3s. Or speaking a foreign language, reciting a poem, naming items one for each letter of the alphabet. STart again until you are back.
(4) Put a sweet, or raisin in your mouth. Hold it there, do not chew, notice everything about it, texture taste, consume it as slowly as possible with your whole attention.
(5) listen to, look at or watch something with you full attention, as if you are going to have to draw it or describe it afterwards. eg how a teabag slowly brews, how blinds move in the breeze, listen to all the noise around.
(6) rip up newspaper as thick as you can manage, over and over
(7) Pay full and perfect attention to a task, doing it very very slowly and carefully,
eg washing up, brushing teeth or hair. listen with your entire attention to 1 song playing on repeat;
learn every word, every instrumental, know it fully.

These ideas should bring you back to earth and calm you harmlessly.
If these don't work;
ask for help
ask for help
and ask for help again.
This is a really great post! I have found similar techniques to be of great help when suffering depersonalisation. Thank you for posting x

T

tornadoesofthoughts

Hello

Thank you! That was a great list. I want to make a pocket coping skills box that I can take with me out and about, so far I have mints. Any ideas?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Hello

Thank you! That was a great list. I want to make a pocket coping skills box that I can take with me out and about, so far I have mints. Any ideas?

Depends on how big your pocket box is, but a soothing aromatherapy oil like lavender might be helpful.
Tissues.
Notebook and pen.
List of phone contacts who you know you can call if you're in a bad way.

Just a few ideas. :)

T

tornadoesofthoughts

I am going away to see my Nan who is poorly so hoping I can carry a little one around. I feel so drained today.Not good. After a night of feeling impulsive and 'high' (even though I don't drink or do drugs) I feel drained :(

S

secretsurvivor1

Elastic band for pinging. Also, a CRISIS note to add to your list of helpful phone numbers;
mine is similar to my tag below and it helps me. I have a few extra words that are a bit more personal (like my parents will have to tell people their only daughter killed herself; that thought really brings it home) so see my tag below.

S

secretsurvivor1

You can also add a few positive affirmations. Best to choose simple ones which are obviously true because even in a bad state you my believe them;
so instead of writing
I am a wonderful, powerful unique and talented person
I would write
I have quite a friendly face, I am a loyal friend, I avoid lying, I like to be kind.
This may not be as impressive but it is real and it makes me proud of who I am, despite my weaknesses.
I asked my grandma if she could think of something positive to say about myself and she thought a while and said
"You're a good height".
Oh. Not great.

S

secretsurvivor1

And she said "you don't have flat feet, you still have your arches"! WHat?!?!

Rowan

Rowan

I asked my grandma if she could think of something positive to say about myself and she thought a while and said
"You're a good height".
Oh. Not great.
Oh no, you have to laugh at that.

Rowan

Rowan

Re the box with distraction things I was taught that you can have things that relate to the five senses so you could keep things like some nice perfume, a furry teddy bear etc...