• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Now the NHS are attacking me

E

english rose

As if it wasn't enough that the DWP have completely stopped my benefits & the council now expect me to pay council tax, the NHS have decided to get in on the act; this morning I got a letter saying that I had got a free prescription in November last year to which I wasn't entitled. I phoned up & told them that it is only since 3 weeks ago that I had my DWP benefits stopped, & that last November I was getting ESA at the basic rate; the lady on the phone was helpful & wiped the £40 penalty that the letter was demanding I pay (along with the £8 prescription charge), but I've got to fill in a form that she's going to send me & even then I'm not guaranteed to get free prescriptions now, I have got to get a prescription in 2 weeks time (I get repeat prescriptions of antidepressants* every month, at this time I need them more than ever, looks like I'll have to find £8 out of my dwindling funds to pay for it).

She's (woman on phone - number on the letter I got) sending me a HC2 form, if it hasn't been sorted by 2 weeks time then I'll have to ask the chemists for a FP57 form; I never fill out the prescription anyway - it's sent by email from the doctors to the chemists.

*Citalopram 40mg

Last edited:
SarahD

SarahD

That's awful.

Can you get your benefits reinstated?

I'm amazed about the prescription charge. I didn't think anyone actually checked that. Maybe it is a lot easier these days with computers. Yet they still get it wrong!

E

english rose

That's awful.

Can you get your benefits reinstated?

I'm amazed about the prescription charge. I didn't think anyone actually checked that. Maybe it is a lot easier these days with computers. Yet they still get it wrong!
At present my solicitor (paid for by legal aid) is preparing my case to submit to the upper tier tribunal (the lower tier took the DWP's side).

SarahD

SarahD

Don't you get any benefits at all while it is being decided? What are you supposed to live on?

If you have no income at the moment I would have thought you would get housing benefit and council tax benefit.

Sorry, I probably don't know enough about your circumstances to make these comments. But I am very sorry you are going through such a worrying time. I have had such problems in the past and the time it takes to get everything sorted out, and worrying about the outcome, is very hard to go through.

E

english rose

Don't you get any benefits at all while it is being decided? What are you supposed to live on?

If you have no income at the moment I would have thought you would get housing benefit and council tax benefit.

Sorry, I probably don't know enough about your circumstances to make these comments. But I am very sorry you are going through such a worrying time. I have had such problems in the past and the time it takes to get everything sorted out, and worrying about the outcome, is very hard to go through.
I'm getting housing benefit, but that doesn't qualify you for free prescriptions.

E

english rose

Talk about ironic - I need my meds now more than ever.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i got a letter from a quango called the compliance unit saying i'd claimed free prescriptions and wasn't entitled phoned up said i was schitzo and on benefits the guy said i don't know how thats got into the system took my dob and ni no then 2 weeks later i got a letter i had 50 days to pay the prescription charge and a fine or be taken to court, i phoned up they said the dwp was denying i was on benefits and if they contacted them again with my dob and ni no the same would happen, they told me to get aletter from the dwp saying i was on benefits that day

I phoned the dwp they said before they could send a letter they needed it in writing

Had a support worker by then he phoned and straight away alll charges were dropped

Phoned my support worker his job may go in march, without a support worker if you can fill in the form you don't need the benefits, i guess no support wsorker could impress the women so while i'm starving due to the dwp cutting benefits at least i'll get a cuddle occassionally

E

english rose

I'm still waiting for the form to arrive that I need to fill in, I requested it over the phone a week ago, it is not possible to download it from the internet. How would 'they' feel if I did not take my meds & as a result became a danger to the public? I remember an incident in a supermarket when they angered me (I was in the right, I'm not just saying that - I definitely was) when I threw some produce on the floor, had I not been on meds then I may have thrown that produce at someone - ie the manageress.....

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I'm still waiting for the form to arrive that I need to fill in, I requested it over the phone a week ago, it is not possible to download it from the internet. How would 'they' feel if I did not take my meds & as a result became a danger to the public? I remember an incident in a supermarket when they angered me (I was in the right, I'm not just saying that - I definitely was) when I threw some produce on the floor, had I not been on meds then I may have thrown that produce at someone - ie the manageress.....
you should say that 50% of people in the support group are in it due to the regulation they could be a significant risk if declared fit for work, i put on the form if declared fit for work the only way i could be is to come off meds and the drs said i could be violent

E

english rose

you should say that 50% of people in the support group are in it due to the regulation they could be a significant risk if declared fit for work, i put on the form if declared fit for work the only way i could be is to come off meds and the drs said i could be violent
My solicitor is dealing with all that thank God, I just can't take any more of it.

E

english rose

I'm really angry & in a right state, the form never arrived in the post today, they should have told me the first time I phoned but they didn't, they told me when I chased it up, that you can get the form from dentists & opticians, luckily I've got both of those places very nearby; I'm not dressed yet but when I am I will go in the dentists (and if they haven't got it then the opticians) to get the form. When I feel hard done by I get bitter & in a state & am in a weird mood which I can't describe, I need to remember that I'm getting my housing benefit & legal aid is paying for my solicitor.

BillFish

BillFish

I'm really angry & in a right state, the form never arrived in the post today, they should have told me the first time I phoned but they didn't, they told me when I chased it up, that you can get the form from dentists & opticians, luckily I've got both of those places very nearby; I'm not dressed yet but when I am I will go in the dentists (and if they haven't got it then the opticians) to get the form. When I feel hard done by I get bitter & in a state & am in a weird mood which I can't describe, I need to remember that I'm getting my housing benefit & legal aid is paying for my solicitor.
It's inverse justice isn't it, those more capable and capable of organizing a legal and technical defense against local authorities for benefits claims win their claims, whilst the truly incapacitated are totally vulnerable and at the behest of jobworths in the DWP.

E

english rose

The dentists nor opticians had the HC1 form, the dentists had never heard of it & the opticians had run out, furthermore the dentists receptionist insulted me by asking if it was for students (I'm 42), I'm well aware that I look young for my age & it's something I really hate. I don't know whether to be more angry about this or about my energy company who are being ****heads. :stomp:

W

Waverunner

The dentists nor opticians had the HC1 form, the dentists had never heard of it & the opticians had run out, furthermore the dentists receptionist insulted me by asking if it was for students (I'm 42), I'm well aware that I look young for my age & it's something I really hate. I don't know whether to be more angry about this or about my energy company who are being ****heads. :stomp:
Energy company would win every time for me

E

english rose

After the HC1 form was a no-show in the post today, I realised that the stupid woman on the phone who said she'd get one sent out to me messed up; I went to the local pharmacy, they didn't have it, they told me to go to the next nearest pharmacy - I went & got their last remaining one.