• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

now that you've been diagnosed. what's your earliest memory where you realized something isn't right?

L

lifecangetbetter

I'm curious. i don't think onset is at 30. i think the acceptance that you arent normal is at 30.
so tell me what your earliest memory is of not feeling quite right. go!

C

CabbageMama

I had a termination at 15, didn’t deal with it at all well and was put on lots of anti anxiety/antidepressant medication, which made me loads worse. Tried to kill myself and was admitted to a Psychiatric ward subsequently. Came out, pretended everything was fine, tried to end things again at 17. Admitted again, but then got discharged on the basis I wouldn’t try to kill myself again, so I didn’t. I’m 41 now. Have been back and forth to Doctors loads over the years, they have always just given me more medication, mostly told me I am depressed, both have always made me worse. Over the years have had diagnoses of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Pain Syndrome. It was last year that Bipolar 2 was suggested and, looking back, that fits best with what I have been going through and how I have been coping.

S

StillDepressed

I was brought up on a dairy farm and me and my Dad were getting the cows in.
My Dad hit his wellie, just to make a noise to get the cows moving
Later I tried it and it hurt.
But it also felt good, well not good, but it felt something and I never felt anything
So just so I could feel and when I was out of sight, I would regularly hurt myself
I was 7, I knew it wasn't right but obviously didn't understand what it was

So all my life I've been depressed and I thought it was the same for everyone
It was not until I hit crisis point (Probably for the 2nd time) at 21 I sought help
And realised it was not normal.