• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Now that Ive thought about it....

lucid scream

lucid scream

As many of you know, I recently went to school to get a Class A cdl. As less of you know I got it. As anyone who knows me here knows Im bi-polar. For those of you who dont know what Im talking about, a class a cdl allows me to drive the biggest trucks, the tractor trailer combination semi truck, 53 ft trailers, gross vehicle weight 80,000lbs.
I was just disqualified from my sponsoring carrier for taking a narcotic pain reliever, hydrocodone. At least I was according to the first physical. I had to get it changed to something less effective before the medical examiner would approve me, so Im not currently taking anything stronger than tramadol, which is like taking tic-tacs. But the company had only recieved my first physical form, so they sent me home. Im working on remedying that, and am looking around. I do take both seroquel and lamictal for the BP, and I feel fine, not dizzy or abnormally tired or anything, they keep me fairly stable.
What Im wondering is if Im maybe in a manic episode, thinking I am capable of more than I may be? Would you feel comfortable driving one of these? How do you feel about sharing the road with a bi-polar pushing 40 tons along behind, beside or in front of you?
I think Im fine, personally. I have always driven things, cars trucks straight trucks motorcycles forklifts scissorlifts etc., it comes natural to me, and I took to driving the semis in school quick, with one tester remarking that I could have fooled him into thinking I had done it before. But maybe Im delusional.
Jes lookin 4 feedback.

D

Dollit

Well as a bipolar person myself I keep a close eye on how I am. I'm not allowed to drive because of the extent of my instability - even when I'm stable I'm not really stable - but obviously you are different. I think you're also very aware and insightful and wouldn't have gone to get your cdl if you didn't feel you could handle it. I think if you got manic whilst driving you'd pull over and do something. And compared to some of the egotistical b's on the road these days the manic ego is probably quite small. :)

Rambuie Perspecador

Rambuie Perspecador

Founding Member
You Polar Bears are often big achievers! check out Creative Cafe, where someone from Brighton called Jill has run together a terrific website that could teach some of you Super Ms a thing or 2 on how to knock t:sorcerer::sorcerer:ogether pieces of Excellence!

D

Dollit

Rambuie - if you have a genuine bugbear with a supermod then take it up with them on private messaging or talk to Mischief about it. It's far more adult and responsible than making veiled digs at a person on public forum.

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
You Polar Bears are often big achievers! check out Creative Cafe, where someone from Brighton called Jill has run together a terrific website that could teach some of you Super Ms a thing or 2 on how to knock t:sorcerer::sorcerer:ogether pieces of Excellence!
i have looked at the website but i cannot use it as it is not word disabled friendly - i am really p****** off as it says it is designed to be used by disabled people when the people who have put it together have ignored all of us that are textually disabled.

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
Hey Lucid

Congrats on getting your Grade A Cdl, and sorry to hear about your disqualification.

I don't suffer from Bipolar so I don't know how it feels, but it seems to me that if there are clear warning signs that a 'phase' is coming on then you've time to deal with it safely.

At the end of the day you know best how you would deal with the driving.

lucid scream

lucid scream

hey guys!
just dropping a line in, a quick one as im only home for about 16 hours. i wanted to tell y'all im working, driving, and have been all month. its great! ive been to baltimore, massachussets, laredo, twice to chicago, new jersey, and leave for california tomorrow!
anyways thanks for the support, i doubt you know what it meant to me to have your support and kind words behind me.

wow. i achieved something. how'd that happen?

D

Dollit

That's fantastic news Lucid! All that travelling and getting paid for doing it! Well it's what you've wanted and you've got there and I'm proud you did it! Long may it continue! :woohoo:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
It sounds so wonderful going to all those exciting places. Most travelling i do is to the supermarket:D

lucid scream

lucid scream

tanks! :D
it is pretty cool. really makes me appreciate being home with my family too, i love my wife and kids! but, i have to pay my dues, and in 6 months to a year, ill have enough experience to got a local job, where i can be home at least every weekend.
im excited to be going to california! ive never been to san fransisco either, so it should be very interesting.
after we get the bills and such sorted out, among the first things on my list are a laptop with remote wireless, and a camera, so i can share my journies with my online friends, and keep up with the goings on.

D

Dollit

San Francisco - be sure to wear some flowers in your hair... :flower2:

lucid scream

lucid scream

lol! well, my hair is down below my shoulder blades, so at least i look the part.
i kinda hope we get a layover, maybe ill take my guitar down to the corner of haight-ashbury.

D

Dollit

You get down to the corner of haight-ashbury with long hair and a guitar and that's a photo I've got to see! I'm just so pleased you're getting to do this stuff finally. It's good to know that things can be achieved and some dreams can come true! :)

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
hey guys!
just dropping a line in, a quick one as im only home for about 16 hours. i wanted to tell y'all im working, driving, and have been all month. its great! ive been to baltimore, massachussets, laredo, twice to chicago, new jersey, and leave for california tomorrow!
anyways thanks for the support, i doubt you know what it meant to me to have your support and kind words behind me.

wow. i achieved something. how'd that happen?
Welldone you :clap: