• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Now I know what a zombie feels like. Depakote!

porkpie

porkpie

i have often wondered what people meant when they feel like a zombie. After being commenced on 500mg of Depakote daily, fuck I feel awful and so disconnected. When people are having conversations with me I can't think of a response. I don't have the motivation or patience to write anything, can't watch telly, no concentration. And OMG so hungry all the time. When I got back to hospital tomorrow returning back on section 17 they want me on 1000mg daily. I can't even function now.

What does feeling like a zombie feel like to you?

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

I was on depakote and it hurt my muscles. I was in denial that it was causing this pain. The doctors said it was fibromyalgia. But it was the depakote. When I quit the depakote, which wasn't easy, the pain went away. If the depakote is making you into a Zombie, and they want you to take even more, this makes no sense to me. Does it make sense to you??

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

i have often wondered what people meant when they feel like a zombie. After being commenced on 500mg of Depakote daily, fuck I feel awful and so disconnected. When people are having conversations with me I can't think of a response. I don't have the motivation or patience to write anything, can't watch telly, no concentration. And OMG so hungry all the time. When I got back to hospital tomorrow returning back on section 17 they want me on 1000mg daily. I can't even function now.

What does feeling like a zombie feel like to you?
Now that I'm no longer on depakote (1000mg daily) I realize that I liked it immensely. I asked to be taken off of it because it made me feel so sedated, but in compensation my seroquel has been doubled which I find more sedating than the depakote did. I'm going to ask to go back on it when I see my shrink as I was was more stable and able to think very clearly and concentrate and had more energy. More importantly I wasn't depressed on it and didn't feel suicidal. Funny that it has a completely opposite effect on me. Maybe because I'm also diagnosed bipolar.

C

Crazy Lady In Stanton

I was put on depakote many years ago following a suicide attempt. After being a zombie for several months, I decided to stop taking that particular medication as I preferred to be conscious while I was still alive. I sympathize with what you're going through. I would tell your doctor how that medication is affecting you. Maybe she can think of something else to give you that won't turn you into the living dead. Good luck.