• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Nothing Works For Me Anymore, Desperate for Advice.

H

HelloMyNameIsFreedom

Hello,

I'm desperate for advice. I was first diagnosed with anxiety in 2012 but last year, I thought I'd made milestones for it, put it behind me.

Until this month, I'd normally have one or two panic attacks per month. I'd use breathing exercises, meditation and Rescue Remedy to help me cope. RR is something I've always kept in my pocket or bag and just having it reassured me. Not having it made me physically panic, so if it didn't do anything physically, it was a placebo that as long as I had that, I was safe from panic.

Now however, I'm taking seven or eight a day, in such a severity that I can't calm myself down from them. Extremely stressed, I'm sick almost every day. I took a day off today because I had two panic attacks before I even reached the door.

I don't sleep, I don't feel hungry. I've tried talking with friends about it which was incredibly difficult for me to do. I was given "I hope you get better soon." as if I had told them I had the cold.

Bottom line, I feel alone. I need to talk to people who understand and won't treat me differently either. I just need advice. I've got another appointment with my doctor next week but I need advice sooner than that.

Thank you for reading,

Freedom

V

volnash

Unfortunately sometimes anxiety can be a reccurring thing M, and ive also tried those techniques mention here, though im not sure what you mean with Rescue Remedy, maybe this is something i have heard of but in my language is quite different, or do you mean some medicine by that?

Have you tried exercising vigorously when you get the attacks, if you are able? id suggest investing in a bag and pounding the crap out of it, but that only works for me as i get different panic attacks than you id bet, are yours fearful in nature?

I get panic attacks from time to time, but they have decreased now and i am able to be more on here and i can hopefully help a little, you mentioned breathing techniques which is very important but id say it's also important that you have as little stress surrounding you as possible when this is going on, i heard you took a day off is it possible to get a sick leave until things have quieted down? do they occur at work aswell? are they triggered by something or do they just appear randomly?

I get the not sleeping, i get that too and it's a general problem of mine which has gotten worse with years and with different things

Try to just lean back these days until next week, and try to rest your eyes even if you are not completely sleeping or are unable, id reccomend distracting your mind a bit have you considered trying to read a book and have some pleasant music on? something to distract your anxiety i find that classical music is helpful.

Additionally do you use any medication for it? this can be just for a short period and in that case you can safely use a little medication and weane off it again as things get better.

My natural remedies include going for walks in the mountains, or just outside.
Breathing correctly and in a nice manner and keep on repeating to myself that things will be okay, this can be a good practice also id suggest there is a push and shove technique used by psychiatry it basically goes like this, you imagine the thing that's bothering you and you see the image before you and then you push it away and replace it with a nice picture of some pleasant memory, do this for 5 times in a row, additionally you can try this warm water is therapeutic according to my therapist try to imagine that you're washing the anxiety away from your body as the water hits you, try to wash it away and see if it helps a little.

Also you need to eat even if you dont feel hungry, as not eating can only make matters worse.

This is all the adwice i can give you, hope you get through this.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hey freedom, great that you've joined here. Volnash is right, eating even when you don't feel hungry, as it regulates your system. Do you have any understanding as to what is bringing on the anxiety attacks?

H

HelloMyNameIsFreedom

Hello,
Thank you for your response. Rescue Remedy is a little spray containing a herbal remedy for relieving stress.

I go running every night withy dog and I rock climb on the weekends so I get plenty of exercise indeed! Yes, my anxiety is fearful. I fear a lot of bad things will happen if I do or don't do certain things.

Unfortunately I cannot take time off at the moment as I'm amidst applying for university. So I need to find a solution that allows me to stay in education while not causing my illness to get worse.

I get really bad nightmares so I fear getting some sleep. Usually it takes me to pass with exhaustion out before I'll rest.

I'm not currently taking medication but I'd consider it to allow myself to get back on my feet.

Thank you for those techniques,I'll definitely try those out. ^~^
I do eat,I just don't enjoy food anymore and for me, it's like when a dog doesn't eat, that's when you know something's wrong.
Thank you for all your advice, you've been incredibly helpful.
Freedom

H

HelloMyNameIsFreedom

Hello Autumn.

I do eat honest I just have to force myself. As I said above, I'm one of those people who seriously loves food, so if I don't eat, that's when I know something is up!

If I'm honest I have some underlying issues that tend to get heightened under stress situations. I'm currently in the process of applying to Uni at the moment so I guess that's what's causing the stress.

My anxiety in 2012 was the aftermath of a less than wonderful situation I'd been in for 3 years, hence my nightmares etc. I haven't spoken about this with anyone in depth however as I'm avoidant of the conversation.

H

HelloMyNameIsFreedom

Sorry sent too quick, on my phone. Thank you for welcoming me, I'm glad to be surrounded by nice and understanding people.
Freedom

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi freedom, Do you feel these underlying issues are something that needs to be talked about or do you feel it's more productive for you to focus your mind on your uni?

H

HelloMyNameIsFreedom

I think that until I properly speak about things, then I don't think I'll truly be able to get rid of my anxiety. I managed school today but I had to remove myself several times as to prevent an attack which just isn't viable in a hugely pressured environment.

However, if anything, my Uni stuff only seems to exist to give me a new range of things to panic about. The thing is, I'm ahead of everyone else but I feel like I'm going to run out of time.
Freedom

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think that until I properly speak about things, then I don't think I'll truly be able to get rid of my anxiety....I'm ahead of everyone else but I feel like I'm going to run out of time.
Freedom
Hey freedom, would it help to write everything down that you want to say/get off your chest and read it out loud to yourself? I'm here if you'd like to pm me.

H

HelloMyNameIsFreedom

That's a good idea, I'll give that a go most certainly. It might help me get the words out a little easier and affirm that I can move forward.

Thank you, it's much appreciated. I'm going to try and get at least a couple hours sleep tonight hopefully so I won't message until tomorrow if I feel like I need to talk it out.

Thank you very much, I'm starting to feel a little lighter. Not by much, but it's a starting point.
Freedom.