• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Nothing serious, but maybe someone can help???

L

lostinmyhead

Hi, I'm a 21 year old male. I have a problem with changing my appearance constantly. I was wondering why I cant stop and just stick to one? When i do change, i have to change my physical appearance as well as my mental. Most of the time I change into someone i like that is on TV or is someone famous, and I'll stick to that person for a while then i will see another person i like and try to make myself as much as i can, be exactly like them. I cant seem to stop doing it and I'm getting sick of it. But i still cant stop. Hopefully i can receive some guidance. I know that this is not a serious condition at all, but this is the only place i can think of for help.

C

coraline1664

Hi,

Don't worry about how serious you feel your problem might seem, it's affecting you and that's why you came for advice. People here are willing to give it.

The first possibility that came to my mind was that perhaps you have issues or concerns about being yourself, or are unsure of what that means to you personally?
Just a couple of ideas- of course I'm only going from what you have written. It might help if you gave a little more information, such as how you feel whilst acting like someone you admire and how you feel when you are not acting. Is there anything that you are anxious about?

It'd be nice to hear from you here again, and welcome to the forum.

Liz

L

lostinmyhead

Thanks,

I think it stems from when I was younger. I always wanted to fit in and be accepted. But now several years later, i'm far over wanting to fit in and be "cool". I don't know why but I seem to relate everyone to me. So if i think their cool, I want to try and be them. I want to be exactly like them and act the way they do and dress the same too. I want to live their life. I even take an interest in the things their interested in. The change just happens randomly, and in my head i'm just like "okay, this person is cool, let me be him."

It feels like Ive lost the real me a long time ago and now I just change from one person to the next on a whim. I cant even remember how my original self was. And when I change, I go out and buy things to help me become the new person, then 2 weeks later I don't want them any more. I would just be happy if i could stick to one.

C

coraline1664

Do you have your own personal interests, things that you feel geniunely enthusiastic about without any outside influences?

It's understandable that during your childhood and teenage years you'd want to get by, be looked up to and not be picked on. In school and college so many things seem to be 'sad' and 'weird' that you can find yourself covering up any sort of real individuality for fear of being questioned on it. When you're around these people almost every day, as an impressionable child or teenager wanting to fit in it gets ingrained into you. When you get away from that you get another look at things and tend to re-evaluate what is important. (speaking from my experience anyway)
It might be that you need to learn to do things for you, things that you really enjoy, to act from the heart, not to seek admiration.
I know it will be easier said than done but that's part of the experience. Maybe you could also spend time with different people now and again, just to shake things up a little bit. Try things you haven't before.

Sorry if this isn't much help but I can see where you're coming from. I hope you feel more comfortable with how things are in the future.

Liz

Last edited:
T

Twylight

Hi, I'm a 21 year old male. I have a problem with changing my appearance constantly. I was wondering why I cant stop and just stick to one? When i do change, i have to change my physical appearance as well as my mental. Most of the time I change into someone i like that is on TV or is someone famous, and I'll stick to that person for a while then i will see another person i like and try to make myself as much as i can, be exactly like them. I cant seem to stop doing it and I'm getting sick of it. But i still cant stop. Hopefully i can receive some guidance. I know that this is not a serious condition at all, but this is the only place i can think of for help.
I went through something similar when I was younger
If a situation arose - rather than reacting to it like I wanted to - I would consider how all of my friends would react ( one at a time )