Nothing makes sense to me anymore. I don’t know what’s happening.

P

PaigeTWoods

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to express how I am feeling lately and maybe get a bit of feedback from someone who can relate (that’s always nice!)

So I have been feeling for a long time that nothing about life makes sense to me anymore and it gets to the point sometimes where I actually don’t even know why I want to be alive (I don’t want to kill myself or anything though!)

It’s just life made perfect sense last year, I knew who I was, where I was going, what was happening around me and I just lived yeno!

Now I can’t imagine being like that, I don’t understand what life is, what I am or what point there is to anything I do.

I feel totally cut off from the world, the people I love and even myself. Nothing makes any sense and I’m just plodding along coz that all I know but it has no meaning like it once did.

It honestly feels like I died or went crazy one day and am now living in an alternate universe. And it feels impossible to escape this ever, or unfeel what I feel right now.

Can anyone relate or explain this to me? For a bit of context I had a mental breakdown a year ago in the form of extreme panic attacks, anxiety and eventually depression. I’m on meds and while they help me cope more I cannot find the purpose I once had in life.

Any suggestions about what’s happening to me? I feel very alone and scared right now!!

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

I can relate to it, I did start by reminding myself that I wasn't actually scared - that I just felt scared - that did help a bit, I think there is a difference.

A lot of it is down to reminding yourself that you are the same person that you've always been, & that you can be that person again, when I was a lot younger I never imagined anything terrible would happen - like it always happens to other people, like I was wrapped in a safety bubble.

I think what you write seems like anxiety - derealisation - it's not about unfeeling the way you do, more like unlearning anxiety.

Anxiety can & does peak, but from what I've learned through my desperate searches on the net, it can & does subside, sometimes by itself, but often by an intense positive mental attitude, & more importantly, finding reasons to like life again.

P

PaigeTWoods

I can relate to it, I did start by reminding myself that I wasn't actually scared - that I just felt scared - that did help a bit, I think there is a difference.

A lot of it is down to reminding yourself that you are the same person that you've always been, & that you can be that person again, when I was a lot younger I never imagined anything terrible would happen - like it always happens to other people, like I was wrapped in a safety bubble.

I think what you write seems like anxiety - derealisation - it's not about unfeeling the way you do, more like unlearning anxiety.

Anxiety can & does peak, but from what I've learned through my desperate searches on the net, it can & does subside, sometimes by itself, but often by an intense positive mental attitude, & more importantly, finding reasons to like life again.
Thanks so much for your reply, it makes so much sense and has made me feel much better. Thanks a million

elliepaige20

elliepaige20

Hey there,

I know how you feel in a way; I used to be very bright and happy, and then in recent months/years I started to feel very low, sometimes for no reason. Sometimes this can be due to something negative or even traumatic happening in our lives. Have you ever spoken to a counsellor about these feelings? I feel as though this has really helped me and I'm even seeing her tonight! :) Do you feel as though you can pin point where things started to change? That might be the start of recovery; finding the root of the problem, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I hope this helps in some way :) Good luck xx

Skynet

Skynet

@PaigeTWoods ,

It seems that you're still experiencing affective and cognitive symptoms of depression. Maybe your psych needs to adjust your meds? You may also need to set some short- and long-term goals for yourself. Are you passionate about anything? If so, maybe you should set learning that skill or hobby as a long-term goal. Try getting out for a walk at least 20 mins a day; exercise has been shown to help with depression.