Not sure why I am posting here, but here I am.

S

Struggling Lawyer

Actually, I do know. I'm dealing with anxiety/bipolar disorder. I've been under treatment for several years. Yet, I still struggle. Perhaps it's the holiday season. Perhaps it is just the pressure of my career and my family responsibilities. Whatever it is, I'm definitely struggling and just needed to voice it to someone other than my family or my counselor.

Thanks for listening.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

hello sorry youre struggling. cant be easy being a lawyer. can you see yourself doing this in 12 months time? if not what other career would be more suitable?

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
I'm sorry your struggling right now, I'm here to listen anytime. Welcome to the forum.
Take care

S

Struggling Lawyer

Thanks for the replies, and certainly no apologies needed for my circumstances. For blacksmoke, I'm locked into being an attorney until I retire. One of the weird aspects is that anyone looking at my life from the outside would consider me to be rather lucky. Wish I felt that way more often. Of course, that is the part of the curse of anxiety.

S

spiritfriend

Just wanted to say that it's okay to open up about any problems you're going through. It doesn't matter how other people view your life. You're human and going through stress is a common thing. Good luck with everything. Hope you feel better soon.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

ah gosh that is horrible. cant you take a sabbatical or whatever they call it. someone i know who works for a big company reg train crash investigations is taking a 12 month or maybe its 2 years not sure, anyway businesses are being encouraged to be seen to be doing there bit in the community. this thing that Cameron was on about the new society bllks.. a kind of social policy so not sure what its called!

and so this person is working in a less stressful environment and is having a break from the stress of the job and family issues can be addressed. charitable based activity

i appreciate that its probably different for lawyers but still might just be an interesting thought to pursue.

gosh that is horrible that silently screaming inside and everyone says how well you look. bet you feel trapped that in itself is not good.

S

Struggling Lawyer

Thanks all. It does suck to live life this way (being an attorney might have been the worst decision given my mental make-up).

J

jimindigo

Don't know if it will help,but it was great help to me when I found out it was a case of
TRANSFERENCE; I transferred anxiety I felt when a child with parents to world at large.
Damn sure I wasn't going to do it a SECOND time!
Respectfully,
jimindigo

S

Struggling Lawyer

No chance of exiting law. At my age (45), I'm locked in for life. With the level of stress in my job coupled with my ability to super-charge the stress, I'll probably end up keeling over with an anurysm or heart attack before I can retire.

When In Rome

When In Rome

Never heard of a struggling lawyer, must be something wrong here. :)

D

Davebram

Christmas is a hard time for me too, with allso having anxiety and depression, i had my own engineering business, which i had to give up for my health and to be honest it saved my life. Its not a failure, its just a change that needed to be done, i have now started a new chapter of my life and hopefully have a positive future. Life is for living not existing.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

Christmas is a hard time for me too, with allso having anxiety and depression, i had my own engineering business, which i had to give up for my health and to be honest it saved my life. Its not a failure, its just a change that needed to be done, i have now started a new chapter of my life and hopefully have a positive future. Life is for living not existing.
good to hear that a new chapter is about to start in your life. indeed life is for living and not existing. society tries to insist otherwise ....