• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Not sure where to go from here

D

Dazzuko

Hi all,

I've been on medication for anxiety since I was 16, I am now 34. I've literally tried so many different drugs that I think even my doc is on the verge of giving up hope. Currently I'm on venlafaxine 275mg ed, and propranolol 3x a day. I am also prescribed mirtazipine but I've stopped taking that after 5 months or so because it wasnt doing anything at all (other than making me VERY tired).

I'm not expecting miracles here, because I realise probably nothing is going to help much. But where should I go from here? My anxiety is really beginning to affect my whole life now, especially as I've started drinking to help cope, which I realise is a terrible solution.

Please help me,

Dan

Bipolarbear2

Bipolarbear2

Hi all,

I've been on medication for anxiety since I was 16, I am now 34. I've literally tried so many different drugs that I think even my doc is on the verge of giving up hope. Currently I'm on venlafaxine 275mg ed, and propranolol 3x a day. I am also prescribed mirtazipine but I've stopped taking that after 5 months or so because it wasnt doing anything at all (other than making me VERY tired).

I'm not expecting miracles here, because I realise probably nothing is going to help much. But where should I go from here? My anxiety is really beginning to affect my whole life now, especially as I've started drinking to help cope, which I realise is a terrible solution.

Please help me,

Dan
Hi Dan,

Maybe the best thing to concentrate on now is not medication. I take anti depressants and mood stabilizers so I think they're important too.

But either CBT (Conitive Behavioural Therapy) or hypnotism could really help you. I've been hypnotised twice before and even getting to the point of relaxation in order to be hypnotised is very calming. Learning how to get into a relaxed state is also very helpful. Good luck

D

Dazzuko

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've always kinda shunned CBT in the past, but I'm starting to realise I'm rapidly running out of options. I'm not sure about hypnotism, I am quite a cynical person, so I'm not sure it'll work on me.

Bipolarbear2

Bipolarbear2

It's a fact that hypnotism works but if you're not opened to it not so much! I love the feeling of it. It's such a relaxing feeling.

CBT gives you the tools you need when you're having a bad day. Knowing things that can help you live your life is priceless. Maybe even stopping panic attacks.

D

Dazzuko

Cheers again for replying much appreciated.

I have this weird thing where I cant smile in certain situations, literally my face doesn't work! it's like a facial paralysis, but my doc has always told me it's down to anxiety (he's probably right) but that's my main symptom, I feel like if I could control that then I could manage many more conversations etc.

Just recently I've started to look back as to why im so anxious and I recall that in primary school plays I always asked to do something off the stage, even spotlights, radio announcer etc. I know that's not a big thing but I really feel I had this anxiety since I was very young.

Thanks again for all the help

Bipolarbear2

Bipolarbear2

You're shy. That's ok. Lots of people are shy. I don't know about not being able to smile. It sounds like you are in a state of shock. For a short time. Deer in the headlights kinda thing. It keeps you from reacting straight away.

You can work on your fight or flight responses. Cbt is the one for you😊 God luck