• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Not Sure What's Going On - Need Some Help!!

A

ashlan14

I will be going to my therapist with this information this coming Friday... but until then I'm not sure what to do. I'm very concerned about my husband.

There have been several occasions when my husband has become very distant, and incredibly angry. He barely will look at me, and when he does it is with a look of absolute hatred. He yells at me, ignores me when I talk to him (acts like I'm not even in the room), slams doors in my face, and has made me feel very physically threatened (today he picked up a pot and pulled his arm back like he was going to throw it at me or hit me with it). Every time he has been like this I have either done nothing to upset him, or what I have done has been very small compared to the outburst of rage I receive.

For example, today I tried to ask him a question while he was reading something. He ignored me, I asked again. The response I got was "I'm busy". I scoffed at that, since the answer to my question would have taken just as few syllables. I told him as much, and he blew up in my face, finally grabbing the pot and threatening with it, before storming out of the room.

Something similar happened just this evening. I continued talking to him, telling him how he's been treating me and the pain I've been in. He mostly ignored me, pushed me out of his way a few times, and yelled at me a bit. I keep talking in the hope that he is hearing me, and some of what I say might sink in. He finally went upstairs.
It was only a few minutes later when he came down the stairs and greeted me with "Hey babe, do you want to barbecue tomorrow?", and is now acting like nothing happened. I even asked him about it, and he claims that he doesn't remember any of it.

My first thought is that he's lying, but I'm not sure... Today isn't the first time that any of this has happened, but it is the first time he has made the claim that he doesn't remember. Normally I just don't bring it up. However, he does typically come back around very quickly, acting as if nothing has happened. We have not had any dialogue about any of the times it has happened before, since I've been afraid to send him back into that state.

I first started looking up personality disorders a few weeks ago when this "mood" had lasted for several days. Through all of this I have felt completely as if I am dealing with two very separate people. When he was like this for days, I left and went home to my parents house, because I was scared of him. My parents have had a decent relationship with him and, hoping to help, they came to try and talk to him. He mostly ignored my father much in the same way that he ignores me. When he came home, my father said the same thing that I had been feeling: this is not the same man.

At this point I'm only looking at personality disorders as a possible explanation for something that I can't make any sense of. Even if all you have to say is that I'm barking up the wrong tree, that would be helpful. I just don't know what to do. I would appreciate any thoughts on the issue.

Firewolf

Firewolf

Psycopath ! I've dated a few there nice till they get in a mood and then everything is your fault and they make you feel this big and then just switch back like nothing happened and your left feeling like your still having the fight and there not : / it sucks ( but I'm not a doctor )

Last edited:
RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

Hey and welcome nobody here clan diagnose your husband but clearly something isn't right and he ideally needs to seek help or maybe if this isn't an option talk to the doctors about his behaviour, it could be a number of things...

Ally xx