• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Not sure if this is the right place but help!

W

webstar

Recently I took my intellectually disabled daughter to the doctor as she had been suffering from severe anxiety disorder. She has been hearing voices and having strong thoughts.

I am going to start her on a new course of medication and wondered whether there was anything else I could do to help her. It seems our moving has triggered off a strong emotional response. Plus she finds crowded areas very overwhelming.

My question is what can I do to help with the voices, we talk about them but should I encourage her to give the voices a different name like a funny name? Are there any strategies I can use to help her that are effective with others here?

Thanks

N

Hi Webstar

I've just finished my Mental Health First Aid training and although I'm certainly not qualified to advise on this subject we did learn a few things from the tutor regarding the voices some people hear.
It is important not to dismiss them just because your daughter is the only one who can hear them, but also not to collude with her about them. It is better to say that you can't hear the voices, but you understand that she can. We were also taught that a surprising number of people who hear voices are actually not medicated for it. It is only when they life becomes impaired by them that further help is needed.
If you feel they are having a negative impact on her life or person then you should probably seek help from the MHCT or your daughter's doctor. I guess it also depends on what the voices are saying and what impact this has.
It would probably benefit you to talk to someone specifically trained in this area to put your questions to and to put your mind at ease.

xxxx:cry:

W

webstar

Thankyou Newbie :)

An update on DD she is doing exceptionally well now! The voices have subsided for the time being. On the positive she freely expresses whats happening and what the voices say if they are bothering her.

She is at present on minimal medication for a short time that seems to have also helped. I got a second opinion and the developmental Pead believes the voices are anxiety related, I guess only time will tell. At least for now she is doing so much better.

Anyway appreciate your reply:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sab People 7
5 People 3
W People 2