• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Not sure if this is normal

A

Angel2716

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this, or has any idea what this could be. Sorry if it’s a long post

Basically when I close my eyes or when I’m in a dark room, I see faces and people. These things can either look human, occasionally they look like people I know but usually they are completely unfamiliar to me. Other times the look pretty terrifying and like they’re screaming at me, however i don’t hear them.
I’m not quite sure how long this has been happening, I think maybe 2 years? At first started out as just the faces that would constantly change and morph into other. These weren’t that frightening however they have seemed to progressed since then. Now it’s usually full people that I see, not just faces and they always seem to be trying to grab at me, which is very unsettling. Sometimes it’s as if they get really close and look like they’re screaming or they stand really tall over me.
I’ve noticed that it’s a lot worse/more vivid in the days/ week after drinking. I drink very rarely, sometimes months without having any so I don’t think it’s a problem with that or an issue with withdrawal.
Also, it’s not just when going to sleep/waking up. It can be any moment I close my eyes or am in a room dark enough.

I’m worried in case this makes me seem crazy, but it’s been bothering me for a while. Does this seem normal?

O

Orangeade

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this, or has any idea what this could be. Sorry if it’s a long post

Basically when I close my eyes or when I’m in a dark room, I see faces and people. These things can either look human, occasionally they look like people I know but usually they are completely unfamiliar to me. Other times the look pretty terrifying and like they’re screaming at me, however i don’t hear them.
I’m not quite sure how long this has been happening, I think maybe 2 years? At first started out as just the faces that would constantly change and morph into other. These weren’t that frightening however they have seemed to progressed since then. Now it’s usually full people that I see, not just faces and they always seem to be trying to grab at me, which is very unsettling. Sometimes it’s as if they get really close and look like they’re screaming or they stand really tall over me.
I’ve noticed that it’s a lot worse/more vivid in the days/ week after drinking. I drink very rarely, sometimes months without having any so I don’t think it’s a problem with that or an issue with withdrawal.
Also, it’s not just when going to sleep/waking up. It can be any moment I close my eyes or am in a room dark enough.

I’m worried in case this makes me seem crazy, but it’s been bothering me for a while. Does this seem normal?
Do you think this are maybe hallucinations? If you get them after drinking? Have you spoken to a doctor about this? Maybe they have some more insight into this. Sending you love x