• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Not sure if it is even anxiety or panic attack

N

navhealth

Hi for about a month now I have been getting panic/anxiety attacks..

This has been a huge blow for me on my life. I know it is due to this lockdown etc

Ill give a quick overview of me:

Currently am furloughed
use to go gym 5 days a week so am/was pretty healthy etc
do not smoke or drink

I have noticed i get numbness tingly feeling on one of my arms..normally right but last night was the left before this happens then ..

i start to panic thinking it is a heart attack etc and this is it..this ofcourse makes my very light headed and jump up gasping for air.. i have managed to calm myself by going outside and deep breathing slowly

I am getting very annoyed and bothered about it now. I have had just 4 hours sleep and have been up since 7am. I still do not feel 100% and feel slightly anxious

it has not been this bad before normally when i sleep i wake up fresh and anxious free.

Just looking to see if anybody with similiar experiences knows how to avoid these thoughts or how to avoid this nunbness which seems to then make my mind wonder

Sorry for the long post. First time i am actually speaking about it.

Thanks

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
Hi nav,

It's possible to get the sensation of numbness with anxiety - I get numb legs that feel as if they've suddenly swollen and my chest feels numb (which all adds to the panic about not being able to breathe.) However, it's also possible that it's something more simple. You mentioned going to the gym 5 days a week - so perhaps you have a strain/trapped nerve triggering
these symptoms.

I have a habit of sleeping on one particular side of my body, and I sleep heavily with little movement. This has caused me problems with my arm in the past - particularly burning sensations in my shoulder.

It might be an idea to try some gentle, remedial stretching exercises and see if this helps. I've linked a video that might help you.

I sympathise with the anxiety - I've had a great deal of small panic attacks recently and it can be draining.

Wishing you all the best x

N

navhealth

Have not been to gym for a while due to lockdown so I think i think it is due to anxiety or panic. Sometimes my fingers twitch then i start feeling heavy on my head and then i panic.

it happens so sudden..i have noticed it builds up when my arm starts tingling or going numb.

thanks for the video I will be doing that today and whenever i feel it going numb

Antimatter

Antimatter

Hi Nav, lack of sleep will very possibly be a big facter as well as your change of routine.

If you were a gym bunny and then stopped, you are going to have to find another way of tiring your body out, so you can get better sleep.

Mind and body, love and peace.

N

navhealth

Yes I am thinking do a few stretches or even press ups and something before bed or i will go for a walk to tire myself

yes my routine is completely ruined for sleep. will try get better sleep in.

I normally have 4 hours straight then broken sleep until i think sod it and get up

N

navhealth

what do you guys do to try and counter it or relax yourself before bed. I seem to have them at night time when i am in bed so far only

N

navhealth

Have been feeling uneasy and had slight panics theoughout today. Still not feeling very good. Actually dreading going to bed