Not sure if I recall my learning material or not; brain lock

TroubleinParadise

TroubleinParadise

Hi all,

I have OCD as many of you know. I'm currently on my way to my third exam this month - the one that causes me the most stress; and I was wondering, do I actually already know this stuff? I've revised it so damn often, I have piles and piles of notes over time... but every time I try to recall anything, I get extremely anxious. I feel stuck in this foggy stress mindset.

I really don't know what to do.

TroubleinParadise

TroubleinParadise

Currently my concern is that the compulsion is to write more notes; mentally revise the material; or re-read entire topics; but it isn't actually helping.

I feel like the loop is: "Scared I don't remember, so can't remember" "Perform compulsive study task" "Wonder why I can't remember still" "Tell myself that I'm not allowed to get emotional about it" "Perform compulsive study task"

Over and over and over again. What is with this? How do I get out?

TroubleinParadise

TroubleinParadise

I've even tried getting emotional over it; thought maybe I needed to let my feelings out... didn't do much. I tried to cry and get upset; but my thoughts took over.

BetaMale

BetaMale

What exactly are you trying to study?

BetaMale

BetaMale

Cost & Management Accounting
I have OCD too and study math and physics. I too have trouble retaining some of the concepts, formulae and equations. I think we may just need to spend more time with the material.

TroubleinParadise

TroubleinParadise

To what end? I've spent a lot of time on the material; I think it's my mental state while I study is the problem.
I have OCD too and study math and physics. I too have trouble retaining some of the concepts, formulae and equations. I think we may just need to spend more time with the material.

TroubleinParadise

TroubleinParadise

I have this sneaking suspicion that the issue is that it's becoming a ritualistic obsessional routine; with no mental substance - as I mentioned above.

I want someone to give me an idea of how to get into a different frame of mind while I do the revising.