• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Not sure if I have bipolar..

• Thread starter avalancheptyltd
  • Start date
A

avalancheptyltd

Hi all,

First time poster here. Around 2 years ago I was prescribed with Escitalopram to manage my ongoing ‘GAD’ as I described it to my GP.
Since I can remember I have also been highly anxious, particular in social situations, meetings etc. This medication helped me tremendously, however I have recently noticed that my mood seems to shift at times - from being elated, feeling good, chasing my goals, able to string thoughts and think sharply to feeling down, low, and mentally ‘cloudy’- which is how I would best describe it (slow to think, talk and respond and therefore highly reluctant to speak up in meetings at work etc).
Admittedly, I have changed my dosage in response to these changes which may have been doing me more harm than good. I’m currently at 20mg and feel great, however I have before had the same dosage and fallen into that ‘cloudy’ rut. I am willing to see someone if I do happen to fall back into it while keeping my dosage consistent at 20mg.

Anyone else relate or have any thoughts?

Also, when I am feeling good, I don’t fall into risk/impulsive behaviour such as spending, gambling etc. I just feel good (normal as I should) and confident in my abilities to complete tasks and achieve my goals.

EddieH

EddieH

Forum Safety Team
Hi avalancheptyltd, welcome to the forum. Good to see another fellow Aussie online. I'm on Escitalopram too. At 20 mg you have a bit of a way to go before you are at max dose, i am on 60mg. I have an ocd problem which I think the medication is helping. I have bipolar to some extent but it is pretty minor. Things get a bit out of hand and i spend a lot of money and gamble. Hopefully that is behind me. Perhaps you could ask your psychiatrist for a mood stabliser when you think you are having trouble. Hope you enjoy the forum.

A

avalancheptyltd

Hi avalancheptyltd, welcome to the forum. Good to see another fellow Aussie online. I'm on Escitalopram too. At 20 mg you have a bit of a way to go before you are at max dose, i am on 60mg. I have an ocd problem which I think the medication is helping. I have bipolar to some extent but it is pretty minor. Things get a bit out of hand and i spend a lot of money and gamble. Hopefully that is behind me. Perhaps you could ask your psychiatrist for a mood stabliser when you think you are having trouble. Hope you enjoy the forum.
Thanks for the reply. I’d prefer not to use multiple medications. The change in anxiety levels (and therefore concentration, cognitive abilities) is my main concern.

JessisMe

JessisMe

It definitely sounds enough like bipolar to me to warrant further investigation with a psychiatrist to see about a diagnosis. This would be if you feel that you are unable to manage or cope with it on your own. If you aren’t able to manage it and could use assistance I would talk to your doctor and see if they can provide you with a referral to someone who can diagnose. xo, j

A

avalancheptyltd

One of those days today. Social anxiety is present. Abit mentally foggy. Overthinking. Slower to string sentences. Could be that I overslept or made poor dietary choices yesterday. Not sure at all.