• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Not sure if I have an ed (my story??)

M

mxysie

So hello, recently I have been not having the best relationship with food.

I do things such as skip meals, starve, excersize or try to burn off as many cals as I can, weigh myself, try to trigger myself with certain images, goal weights, keeping food diaries etc.

Although this could be just a basic diet, ive done many before and it doesnt feel as obsessive as this one. I feel like slowly everyday my life begins to revolve around numbers and certain cans and cannots. But I also will eat a lot. I will eat something gross or fattening get anxious and then starve myself to make up for it.

As for my story part, I was always fat shamed as a child growing up, didnt really have the most stable parent figures, etc.

I really dont want to offend anyone by saying Im starting to have a problem if it really just isnt a problem and a normal thing.

thanks for listening !!

Q

Queenie

It may not be an E.D. yet but it might be disordered eating. Are you of normal weight, overweight or underweight?

Keep going with a Food Diary though and also record any triggers for the times you feel you have eaten alot - because you might actually haven't as much. It might be that because you might not be eating regularly during the day your blood sugar might drop and the body craves easy high-energy foods or it could be emotional triggers; so it is important to eat reguarly with proteins, some carbs etc you know the usual. Proteins sources at every meal with balanced meals will help you to feel fuller for longer and more satified. (example: 100 -170g 0% fat greek yoghurt, low sugar granola and a portion of fruit for breakfast) Don't skip meals or starve the next the day or exercise too much to compensate as it could develop into a ED. Exercise is healthy but please eat regular balanced meals. You could also buy a meal planner either a whiteboard or notebook to plan meals. And allow yourself a treat from time to time though which can help stop overeating.

Q

Queenie

It may not be an E.D. yet but it might be disordered eating. Are you of normal weight, overweight or underweight?

Keep going with a Food Diary though and also record any triggers for the times you feel you have eaten alot - because you might actually haven't as much. It might be that because you might not be eating regularly during the day your blood sugar might drop and the body craves easy high-energy foods or it could be emotional triggers; so it is important to eat reguarly with proteins, some carbs etc you know the usual. Proteins sources at every meal with balanced meals will help you to feel fuller for longer and more satified. (example: 100 -170g 0% fat greek yoghurt, low sugar granola and a portion of fruit for breakfast) Don't skip meals or starve the next the day or exercise too much to compensate as it could develop into a ED no need to "punish" yourself. Forgive yourself and eat well the next day. Exercise is healthy but please eat regular balanced meals. You could also buy a meal planner either a whiteboard or notebook to plan meals. And allow yourself a treat from time to time though which can help stop overeating.

A

ape130

It sounds like an Eating Disorder to me, and like QUeenie said, if it isn't then it's on it's way to becoming one. Also I encourage you to read Intuitive Eating and maybe even Anti Diet. Diets don't work, and they aren't helpful in the long run! Maybe look into what it is that is driving you to do these things, it's never really about the food, but deeper issues we are dealing with!