• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Not sure if I am crazy voices? maybe?

I

Iamnotcrazy

I feel stupid writing this but I dont know what else to do.

I am certain I can hear, and sometimes see ghosts talking to me. They are not family members all the time but sometimes are.

I avoided telling anyone because I am certain that they are going to say I am crazy but recently thers have been a few nasty ones who tell me to do things that are not nice.

One tells me I have to get rid of my dog and that he is going to kill me, I don't believe this but it makes me nervous being around him sometimes because of what the ghost says. More recently some are telling me that I should kill myself because I am not wanted anyway, I am taking up social housing when someone else needs it.

I told my mother recently and she told me that I should see the doctor which lead to a HUGE argument (by the way I am 27, so not a child and don't appreciate her speaking to me like I am one).

I don't belive that this is in my head (honestly!) but I was looking online and found that people dont believe there is a problem when there maybe.

Should I go to the doctors? if so what should I expect from going there???

D

Deliah

Hey, take a look at Eleanor Longdens TED talk and also Rufus Mays Website, the doctor who hears voices. I think that you need some help, but that there are better ways than the GP will offer you. You don't have to go the psychiatry route! I wish you well. love D xxx

Cazcat

Cazcat

Staff Member on Leave
Hi,

Do these things distress you?

Personally I would recomend discussing this with your Dr particularly if it is worrying you. Another option is to self refer to your mental health team, you should be able to find details online.

Hearing voices does not necessarily mean a diagnosis of schizophrenia, there are other causes of auditory halicinations and they can also be associated with stress, depression and recreational drugs, probably other things too, I'm not a doctor. Medication is not necessarily the answer but it may be an option to help you if these voices are causing distress. Medications are not necesarily forever either. My partner has been on strong medication following psychosis (including hallucinations and paranoia) and has found that this has enabled him to get his life back, he is now in the process of reducing these medications with the plan of stopping them altogether on the advice of his psychiatrist.

Mental heath diagnosis is changing and it is now recognised that labeling people early with diagnosis is not always helpful, rather working on early intervention to help people manage their mental state better and prevent them from becoming really ill is preferable.

Your doctor or mental health team should be able to help you identify if there is a problem and advise on treatment if necessary. I would say the fact you have insight into what is happening is a really good thing and in my opinion means that you are not very ill at the moment, this is a good time to look at preventing things getting worse. Your GP will have heard it all before so don't wory that they will be shocked.

Cazcat

Cazcat

Staff Member on Leave
Hi,

As Nikita says there are more than one route you can go down and it depends on whats right for you and how these things areaffecting you and your life. I only have my experiences with my partner to base my opinions on. He attempted to self manage for over 10 years before it was regognised that there was a problem and he recieved any suport or treatment. His life prior to this was chaotic. He struggled to hold a job down, was in frequent trouble with the police, was homeless on 3 seperate occasions and we moved 10 times in 5 years. Since recieving professional help life has been imesurably better and he is so much happier. He has been happy in our home for 18 months, held down a good job for 6 months and is finally in a place where he is relaxed and happy and coming off his meds.

Medication is not necessarily the right route for everyone but no one should be made to feel bad or a failure if they need or want to go down that route. A friend of mine has bipolar and with medication is able to live the life she wants working 2 jobs and bringing up her son as a single mum, without her meds she is unable to care for her son she gets so angry when people tell her how bad psychiatric meds are and that she should learn to cope without. Many people with diabetes self manage without medication, others need medication to stay healthy, would you tell someone who thought they wrre diabetic not to seetheir GP incase he put them on medication?

At the end of the day their is no right or wrong answer it depends what is right for you and on how much this is impacting on your life. Just don't feel like you have to cope alone.

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Iamnotcrazy, you have to decide what is the best approach for you. It is a good idea to look into it before you go to a doctor, because once you are on that path it is hard to get off. Meds do help some people, and some can't function well without them. They also can have unpleasant and sometimes very serious side effects - I have some permanent health problems caused by antipsychotics. Have a look at the Hearing Voices section in this forum:

http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/forum99.html

I wish you all the best, Sarah

PS I like your name. I am not crazy either, except according to the doctors...

Kerome

Kerome

Most doctors would call your ghosts voices or hallucinations, and your idea that they are ghosts a delusion. They would look that up in the DSM and give it an overall name, and call it an illness, though the label is in the end only a shorthand for your symptoms. That is the biomedical model, their way of looking at what you experience.

It is only one of several ways of looking at things, and maybe not the best, since it encourages you to "medicalise" your entire experience and discard it as a symptom of illness. There are different streams of thinking, like the Hearing Voices Network, anti-psychiatry and so on. But it is a way of thinking that is intended to keep you safe from the effects of delusions and as focused on the real world as possible, which has some good sides.

In the end you do need to deal with the negative aspects of voice hearing, where the voices are telling you to kill yourself or get rid of your dog. Once you let them rule significant aspects of your life you are on a very dangerous and slippery slope which can lead to breaking the law and involuntary psychiatric admission. So you need to be aware of that.

One thing that the doctors will be able to do for you is prescribe medication, which may or may not cause your symptoms to disappear. The chances are pretty good that they will be able to make good changes. But pretty much all of these medicines have side effects, such as weight gain, lethargy, reduced mental energy and so on.

Only you can say whether you need the medicines in order to stop the voices and end up not taking directions from them. Similarly only you can decide how to view the voices, whether you buy into the biomedical model and call them hallucinations or keep some other belief.

I would advise going to see your doctor, just so that he knows what is going on with you and if at some point some voice persuades you to do something silly, he at least knows what is going on. Also, he may refer you to a mental health service, where they may be able to help you put together things like a list of alarm bell signals, things to look out for if it worsens, give you contacts about what to do if you can't cope, and so on.

Dealing with something like this is a lifelong journey, it takes years to learn how to cope or how to view it.

Big hug :hug: