• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Not sure if correct diagnosis - advice needed please

M

Mercedesgirl

So first a received a diagnosis for Psychosis and for as long as I have Remeber have had drastic changes in my mood (very high and elated or very low), these episodes last for usually 3 weeks plus, sometimes they can be softer. eventually the drug that worked for me was quetiapine. I was detained in hospital for some time at the start of the year and was given the diagnosis of BPD.

I do fit much of the criteria for this diagnosis, impuslsivity, suicidal ideation
But a lot of it I feel I do, my mood espisodes last for long periods of time, from what I've read online people with BPD there mood changes are much quicker.
I also have larger periods of time where I would say my mood is pretty normal, another thing after reasearchinh online many sources say the mood swings with BDP are pervasive and you don't not get periods of time without them. Or is this not that case?
Also the attachment/fear of abandonment is not me at all.

I don't know whether I'm just over thinking things. I've recently got a new doctor who I saw for the first time last week, but I've really been struggling recently and I don't know whether to ask to go onto the other medication again as it seemed to work well in regulating my mood. Do you think I should express my concerns about the diagnosis not 100% fitting or what? Everything just getting further and further out of had and everything is gong so fast and I don't know what to do anymore

Just advice needed I guess!
Thanks

jetgirl

jetgirl

This sounds like bipolar disorder. Although I am NOT qualified in any way, this is just a thought based on my health and knowledge. Definitely discuss with your doctor or even better, a psychiatrist.

Good luck!

D

danniegirl

I have exactly the same problem you do. Under nhs I have a dx of bpd.. I was dx'd this in 2008 and fought against it as episodes of depression and hypomania are normally 2-6 weeks with long spells of "normality".
In 2012, I had post natal psychosis, after desperation of not being able to see a nhs psych asap I went to a private one, who after going over other symptoms over years he said I was classic bipolar. And the treatment has halved the amount of episodes a year.
Yet, all that said the NHS won't budge on their dx, haven't even added the bipolar 2 to their records but have added a few other things.
I wonder if that the cost of treating the two are vastly different.. and with similarities of treatment and the fact you can "grow out of" bpd/EUPD makes them steer towards bpd/EUPD...maybe...
I have tried over and over to reduce the scramble

M

mrspoon

I have exactly the same problem you do. Under nhs I have a dx of bpd.. I was dx'd this in 2008 and fought against it as episodes of depression and hypomania are normally 2-6 weeks with long spells of "normality".
In 2012, I had post natal psychosis, after desperation of not being able to see a nhs psych asap I went to a private one, who after going over other symptoms over years he said I was classic bipolar. And the treatment has halved the amount of episodes a year.
Yet, all that said the NHS won't budge on their dx, haven't even added the bipolar 2 to their records but have added a few other things.
I wonder if that the cost of treating the two are vastly different.. and with similarities of treatment and the fact you can "grow out of" bpd/EUPD makes them steer towards bpd/EUPD...maybe...
I have tried over and over to reduce the scramble
one of the diagnosis's they are considering me for is EUPD, , and the amount of support I currently get is huge. The council even just approved a social care package for me, on top of everything else. I have no idea how much this is costing but it must be a lot. It makes me feel very ill to be honest because I know how strapped for resources they are ,and from reading around online people with PD's tend to be left more to their own devices. They are doing the opposite with me. They have tried 3 different anti psychotics on me in the past, including quetiapine, 6 different anti depressants, and no positive affect. In fact I got into a huge fight with some workmen on a high dose of olanzapine and I don't remember doing it,I know because my mum told me about it years later . Being on anti psychotics just makes me worse if anything,does the opposite of calming my emotions.