• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Not Sure How to Tell Others

S

Snowshoes68

I do not believe I have an eating disorder and I have never been diagnosed before but I recently looked into my patterns of eating and I think it may fall under disordered eating where it is below the threshold of a diagnosis.

This lack of definition and clarity makes it hard to talk to others about it and I'm not sure how to breach the subject. I'm afraid my friends won't take me seriously because it's not a diagnosis. I'm afraid I'll sound like I'm just looking for attention. I'm not though, I've been in so much pain this week.

I don't feel comfortable talking to certain friends about my mental health issues (I have other diagnoses) but some of the things they say about food and people's appearance bother me a lot. It's been such a difficult week with eating and I'm afraid they'll say something triggering. I'm not sure how to approach the subject or ask them to not talk about dieting and people's bodies.

B

bpd2020

I am sorry you have friends who do not realise the consequences of their words. If you feel your friends will not understand then can you talk to your doctor? Disordered eating is recognised as an eating disorder and can be helped.

S

Snowshoes68

I am sorry you have friends who do not realise the consequences of their words. If you feel your friends will not understand then can you talk to your doctor? Disordered eating is recognised as an eating disorder and can be helped.
Thank you for your response. I can talk to a doctor or get proper assistance. I'm just afraid to spend time around people because they might say something triggering.

B

bpd2020

That makes sense. If you feel your friends will not understand then maybe you need to take a break from them? If they are the kind of people to judge others by their weight then they will be very triggering.

S

Snowshoes68

That makes sense. If you feel your friends will not understand then maybe you need to take a break from them? If they are the kind of people to judge others by their weight then they will be very triggering.
Yes, they are. Thank you for your advice , it might be best to do that

B

bpd2020

I am sorry. It is difficult to have friends that do not understand or trigger us. I really hope in time you can meet some more understanding people.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi Snowshoes,
We know your not looking for attention, I do hope you get the help you need.
Sorry about your friends, maybe think about having a break or tell them you think you have an eating disorder.
If they are good friends they will stick by you and change.
Please get help, it's best to as early as possible.
Hugs

S

Snowshoes68

Thank you, I appreciate it a lot. Thank you for helping me with this

S

Snowshoes68

Hi Snowshoes,
We know your not looking for attention, I do hope you get the help you need.
Sorry about your friends, maybe think about having a break or tell them you think you have an eating disorder.
If they are good friends they will stick by you and change.
Please get help, it's best to as early as possible.
Hugs
Thank you for your advice. I'll think about taking a break or telling them.