• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Not really for me.

R

Ricky

One doctor says it's classic post stress disorder, another that it is Borderline Personality disorder. Seroxatine helps, and Diazapam gives the 'instant' control needed at times. Neither are a solution, merely soothing flannels which have limited effect.
I've read some of the comments in here, all kind, all supportive; and that's nice as far as it goes.
Sadly, little smiling cartoon faces and sugar-coated quotes from Christmas cards, have rather the reverse effect on me. I know they are intended as a help, but (for me) they seem hollow.

Hollow. As good a way as any to explain my life over the past twenty or so years.

I'm 'talking' here, because it's the only form of communication with someone that is feasible. Personal explanations with Physicians never can fully explain the feelings, the despair. As a retired Police Sergeant, I've had considerable contact with people who were acting or thinking beyond the commonly accepted standards. I was the one with all of the answers..well, supposed to have all of the answers.

Now I avoid people. I hope I also avoid any sugary replies, cartoon images and the omnipresent 'let's all hold hands' syndrome. I'm happy if this works for you. It's not my idea of mutual support.

Ah well. Maybe tomorrow will be better. I don't believe it will though..it never is.
Ricky

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hiya and welcome to MHF .

A

Apotheosis

Now I avoid people. I hope I also avoid any sugary replies, cartoon images and the omnipresent 'let's all hold hands' syndrome. I'm happy if this works for you. It's not my idea of mutual support.
Welcome to the site Ricky. It's not all sugar coated here. Maybe try a Journal. I find it helps just to post stuff & help out if I can. You may prefer this forum -

http://theicarusproject.net/forums/index.php

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
hi there and welcome, I hope u give the forum a chance. its helped a lot of people but it may not be to everyones taste. Contrary to what you say we dont always agree with what is posted. But it is generally a support site. So when someone is feeling low we do our best to be there for them. When you read some of the other threads in different sections you will find that there are some reasonable debates on here.

I do agree with the 'soothing flannels' comment. Its basically take the pills and go away attitude

D

Dollit

Ricky I don't do sugar coated support of any kind! I'm supportive of people, I'll suggest things that may help them but, even though I used the smilies in the early days, they're not really my thing. Here it's a matter of take what you like and leave the rest.

We have members here who rarely post on open forum, preferring instead to form individual "relationships" with one or two people and getting support that way.

I'm quite guarded about what I say on the forum and to whom - I work with the police (and the fire service) and years of never telling anyone anything they don't need to know sticks fast.

If you want to have help without the open forum then pm me. Maybe the group experience isn't for you but I can't help thinking you need something otherwise you wouldn't have posted, you'd have just disappeared without a trace.

J

jamesdean

hi ricky

that was quite a post, i try 2 post on this forum openly, u seem 2 have a lot of anger 2 deal with.
with respect the people on this forum r very kind n some days u need that kindness 2 get through the day, i was very angry when i 1st joined this forum, but believe me though there r times when i still want 2 shout @ every 1 n i'm feeling very angry n i want 2 post in such a manner i've learnt that it is far more rewarding 2 b respect ful of others feelings on this forum thats because generally most people r dealing with a mental illness.
i agree that sometimes we need 2 deal with r anger n i sugested an angry room but it didnt actually get much response, therfore as far as i'm concerned i will have a open cyber fight with u if it helps 2 scream, but i'm wondering if perhaps its mh service that i should b fighting with n may b i've been 2 easy going with that deptpartment in my life not that there is massive problems, but i'm all 4 an open debate n i have said on this forum b4 that sometimes we need 2 vent r anger, n where better really somewhere we can not get hurt so long as we dont direct @ any 1 individual. mh can b very frightening, n there r degrees n depths that some people could not even imagine, like the service there r clinic there r hospitals n there is secure units, like when i suggested an angry room u wouldnt want 2 go in if u werent in that frame of mind. there was an argument a couple of weeks ago that could of done with such a place but then may b there other forumsi guess,i dont know? this 1 suits me its kinda calmed me down

lucid scream

lucid scream

hey hey, Ricky,
i understand what your saying. sweets do little for a starving man?
some things i post on the open forum because i just want to know im not alone.
some things i post hoping for a new insight, but it doesnt always happen, and thats noones fault, really.
other things i prefer to talk to my friends about, particularly one lately, for various reasons.

as Dollit said, you take what you need here and leave the rest. if your like me and have trouble meeting people in real life that understand or are even willing to talk about MH problems (most people have a 'suck it up, you big pansy' attitude) you might have an easier time meeting someone here or on another forum that you can connect with.
welcome and good luck!
:welcome::hug::grouphug:;):love:(y):flowers::clap::LOL::p:rolleyes::D:):tea:

:oops:
haha!

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Welcome to the forum.

While it is nice to get something sweet in a post (I'm particularly fond of the cuddle smilie) I think that the vast majority of people here have significant mental health issues and wouldn't hang around and contribute so fully if the forum didn't offer some tangible support or help. The nature of that support or help of course takes on many forms.

Either way I hope that you get some support and help through the forum. As Dollit has suggested above, there are all sorts of ways to use the forum and get involved - have a go with all of them to see which suits you best but don't reject anything until you've tried it. Oh, and here's a cuddle for you :hug:!

R

Ricky

Thank you

Those were all rather unexpected, and friendly replies. All were understanding, some to a startling degree.
The text style message took a little decoding, but the writer was persipicacious to a quite alarming extent. Yes. Anger is a major problem. That was perceptive, very perceptive.

All of you have given me ideas in one way, or another; and I would like to express my thanks for that. Motivation remains an over-riding issue however, and that includes contributing to a forum, or sharing experiences. Hell, it even includes making a cup of tea or not...so I can't predict how things will evolve.

There is much to consider, and again, 'Thank you all'.

Ricky

J

jamesdean

hi ricky

u r right i never know whot each new day will bring n i'm very often surprised how differant moods can take u 2 differant places we have so much new stuff 2 learn in this life, ive talked 2 some older people than me recently n i've realised how much depression has robbed me of so much pleasures in life i always have been a yes guy @ clinic but i expressed some anger yesterday @ my apointment 2 my surprised the doctor appeared 2 b more off his head than me though he wouldnt give me the answer i wanted n tried 2 soft soap me, so i will take it up with my gp 2 sort out may b a letter from my gp will do the trick there seems always b an avenue 4 things. i hope its helped u joining the forum, keep posting m8