• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Not Proud Of My Heritage

Magenta Pink

Magenta Pink

I hope my thread won't be sensitive or controversial. But I need to vent. Besides the fact I fear of going to hell, I have this on my mind. I felt this way for years but now things are getting worse in 2020 now thanks to the media, government, and bullies. I'm feeling more ashamed and less proud of my heritage (Italian). It literally hurts me when people call them racists, mafias, bringing up what Columbus did, what Mussolini did, the Italian invasion of Somalia, Libya, and Eritrea, what the Roman Empire did, and that the Romans crucified Jesus. I'm starting to wish that I was a different nationality. Now I'm afraid to tell people what my background is bc I fear they will judge me. Does anyone here feel the same way? Or had felt the same way? Again I don't mean to have this topic come as offensive. If so, I will ask the MOD to remove it

OddballOut

OddballOut

I have Italian ancestors. I haven't heard any derogatory comments about Italians though and I wouldn't care any ways.

There is not one single nationality that doesn't have a black mark on their past. Not. One. Single. One.

I also don't often find myself in situations where I need to disclose my nationality but I definitely have never been ashamed of being part Italian.

Actually, the Italian part of my family- my grandfather was Italian, but my mom is adopted and I still claim proudly that that's part of my nationality (even though it technically isn't).

I hope your brain can give you a break with this one. Take care.

Magenta Pink

Magenta Pink

I have Italian ancestors. I haven't heard any derogatory comments about Italians though and I wouldn't care any ways.

There is not one single nationality that doesn't have a black mark on their past. Not. One. Single. One.

I also don't often find myself in situations where I need to disclose my nationality but I definitely have never been ashamed of being part Italian.

Actually, the Italian part of my family- my grandfather was Italian, but my mom is adopted and I still claim proudly that that's part of my nationality (even though it technically isn't).

I hope your brain can give you a break with this one. Take care.
I guess you don't understand how I feel

E

Elisante

Are you hurt by their words or do you also agree with them? There are a lot of European people nowdays genuinely feeling guilty and not only is this sad but it's also completely unjustified.

Italy was a cultural superpower, you should be proud of your heritage. Every country has done "bad" things, even the ones that want to constantly portray themselves as victims. Don't let people whose anchestors have offered absolutely nothing to the international community bring you down. And if someone is harassing you because of your ethnicity, they have no right to talk about racism.

Knowing how much you have contributed to the world may make you feel better
Italian inventions and discoveries

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i recently was asssessed for grief councilling they asked my ethnicity i said brummie didn't go down well with the pc women

B

bpd2020

I am so sad you feel ashamed for being Italian. The stereotypes you have come across are very negative so I can understand why. I think a decent person will not have such judgemental thoughts.

Magenta Pink

Magenta Pink

Are you hurt by their words or do you also agree with them? There are a lot of European people nowdays genuinely feeling guilty and not only is this sad but it's also completely unjustified.

Italy was a cultural superpower, you should be proud of your heritage. Every country has done "bad" things, even the ones that want to constantly portray themselves as victims. Don't let people whose anchestors have offered absolutely nothing to the international community bring you down. And if someone is harassing you because of your ethnicity, they have no right to talk about racism.

Knowing how much you have contributed to the world may make you feel better
Italian inventions and discoveries
It's honestly both. And lately I wish I was non european

Now you understand how I feel?????

Last edited by a moderator: