• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Not Proud Of My Heritage

M

Martinp30

I hope my thread won't be sensitive or controversial. But I need to vent. Besides the fact I fear of going to hell, I have this on my mind. I felt this way for years but now things are getting worse in 2020 now thanks to the media, government, and bullies. I'm feeling more ashamed and less proud of my heritage (Italian). It literally hurts me when people call them racists, mafias, bringing up what Columbus did, what Mussolini did, the Italian invasion of Somalia, Libya, and Eritrea, what the Roman Empire did, and that the Romans crucified Jesus. I'm starting to wish that I was a different nationality. Now I'm afraid to tell people what my background is bc I fear they will judge me. Does anyone here feel the same way? Or had felt the same way? Again I don't mean to have this topic come as offensive. If so, I will ask the MOD to remove it
Your people crucified Christ but they were not all punished for it. God has mercy on us. Italy became the epicenter of Catholicism, which is the greatest institution ever created and Italy is home. Hospitals and Universities are just 2 accomplishments the church has created. Before you bash Christopher Columbus read REAL history which entitles you to read up and look at different countries interpretations. Go look at truths instead of lies. Columbus was not a general or a soldier, he was an explorer. A lot of misinformation, bad media, bad teachers with political agendas (on both sides), and a culture constantly looking to point fingers. Lady gaga and performers are a sad explanation of why you should be proud to be Italian. Give me any culture and i can find bad. Give me any religion and i can find bad, its human nature.

TODAYS WORLD IS OBSESSED AT LOOKING FOR ALL THE NEGATIVES WHEN WE SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR THE GOOD PEOPLE AND RAISING THEM TO WHAT THE STANDARD SHOULD BE.

N

Nukelavee

My country was the first to suffer anglo colonialism so not just non Europeans
And Britain was colonized by Rome, like much of Europe.
Yeah, colonialism was the worst thing that happened to non-European nations.
You realize European nations were colonized by non-Europeans, right? And that non-Europeans had there own colonial periods, right?

Exploiting other ethnic groups for space and resources isn't only a European sin.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

You realize European nations were colonized by non-Europeans, right? And that non-Europeans had there own colonial periods, right?

Exploiting other ethnic groups for space and resources isn't only a European sin.
Lol yes im well aware. Im a gaelic celt. My people committed many sins on their conquest of europe too. We cant be held responsible for the sins of of fathers as the saying goes

N

Nukelavee

Lol yes im well aware. Im a gaelic celt. My people committed many sins on their conquest of europe too. We cant be held responsible for the sins of of fathers as the saying goes
The second two statements weren't aimed at you, lol.

I'm part Scot, part Greek, myself, although I'm adopted. Family is Irish.

AlwaysinCrown

AlwaysinCrown

Europeans have done lots of bad things for local people. They spread diseases, were saying only white people have a soul, introduced slavery and made many animal species extinced like f. ex dodo bird.

N

Nukelavee

Europeans have done lots of bad things for local people. They spread diseases, were saying only white people have a soul, introduced slavery and made many animal species extinced like f. ex dodo bird.
Sure. but other peoples have done the same acts. I believe it was the Mongols that spread the Black Plague to Europe by catapulting diseased animals and corpses into cities.

Also - Europe didn't invent slavery, slavery was created around the world on it's own. Like, Native Americans kept slaves before Europe reached North America.

The Aborigines in Australia caused many species to go extinct. The ancestors of the Native Americans wiped out many species.

Magenta Pink

Magenta Pink

1. I don't understand why SicklyBloom's post made you feel worse? They didn't say you were a witch. They just tried to express that Italy has a diverse cultural spectrum.

2. Why is your ethnicity so important to you? I'm Italian but I really don't care about the past or my "heritage". It so rarely comes up in conversation that it's not an issue. If it's such an ordeal, just make something up. Say that you're Spanish, or Jewish, or whatever. But you're not going to find any ethnicity out there that nobody hates. Every group is hated/feared/vilified by some other group.

3. Focus on who you are, not the group you are part of.
1. I guess I took it the wrong way sorry

2. Bc that's what all people care about these days. Especially in the USA. I don't want to lie bc it's a sin. But even if I do, you will get people who would say "Oh but you don't look it" or "But you look more like _ ". Maybe to you but I disagree

3. Easy to be said then done

Magenta Pink

Magenta Pink

I've the same. I'm Oikophobe. I don't like my country's heritage, history and cultural elements too. I guess in your case it's not an Oikophobia as you're American. America was created by people of different nationalities, so you can focus on much of being an American.
What's happening in Poland? I thought they were doing much better than other European countries

Magenta Pink

Magenta Pink

Ignore the people who can't let go of past history. That is just a small amount but they get a lot of publicity.

No race, nationality or religion is without sin of their own to others. No one should judge.
Well you should see the comments on youtube and quora. It's so offensive and disgusting

Magenta Pink

Magenta Pink

Unless your a vampire and lived through all of the past i think your good 😜 noone should be held unaccountable for their ancestors. We dont choose where we are born
In the USA you are accountable unfortunately

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
JessisMe Depression Forum 4