• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Not Proud Of My Heritage

Magenta Pink

Magenta Pink

I hope my thread won't be sensitive or controversial. But I need to vent. Besides the fact I fear of going to hell, I have this on my mind. I felt this way for years but now things are getting worse in 2020 now thanks to the media, government, and bullies. I'm feeling more ashamed and less proud of my heritage (Italian). It literally hurts me when people call them racists, mafias, bringing up what Columbus did, what Mussolini did, the Italian invasion of Somalia, Libya, and Eritrea, what the Roman Empire did, and that the Romans crucified Jesus. I'm starting to wish that I was a different nationality. Now I'm afraid to tell people what my background is bc I fear they will judge me. Does anyone here feel the same way? Or had felt the same way? Again I don't mean to have this topic come as offensive. If so, I will ask the MOD to remove it

SicklyBloom

SicklyBloom

I hope my thread won't be sensitive or controversial. But I need to vent. Besides the fact I fear of going to hell, I have this on my mind. I felt this way for years but now things are getting worse in 2020 now thanks to the media, government, and bullies. I'm feeling more ashamed and less proud of my heritage (Italian). It literally hurts me when people call them racists, mafias, bringing up what Columbus did, what Mussolini did, the Italian invasion of Somalia, Libya, and Eritrea, what the Roman Empire did, and that the Romans crucified Jesus. I'm starting to wish that I was a different nationality. Now I'm afraid to tell people what my background is bc I fear they will judge me. Does anyone here feel the same way? Or had felt the same way? Again I don't mean to have this topic come as offensive. If so, I will ask the MOD to remove it
I can see why you might feel some shame or guilt, but you were born in the United States (I take, I could be wrong), so those burdens aren't technically on your shoulders. What about famous people of Italian descent like Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Madonna, and Sofia Coppola? Italy is a beautiful country that has a lot ancient relics and culinary diversity. If you're not into Catholicism, you could be a Strega (Italian word for "witch".) Plus, the mafia is such an Americanized Italian trope, hasn't anyone realized that there are mafias literally all over the world? You're talking to heinz 57, I'm Polish and Hungarian with German and Czech roots.

I've felt this way myself only because I have toxic family members. You're not alone!

Magenta Pink

Magenta Pink

I can see why you might feel some shame or guilt, but you were born in the United States (I take, I could be wrong), so those burdens aren't technically on your shoulders. What about famous people of Italian descent like Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Madonna, and Sofia Coppola? Italy is a beautiful country that has a lot ancient relics and culinary diversity. If you're not into Catholicism, you could be a Strega (Italian word for "witch".) Plus, the mafia is such an Americanized Italian trope, hasn't anyone realized that there are mafias literally all over the world? You're talking to heinz 57, I'm Polish and Hungarian with German and Czech roots.

I've felt this way myself only because I have toxic family members. You're not alone!
I was born in the USA. There are people out there who cannot let go of past history

So now our calling me a witch? Thanks a lot. I posted this thread for help and support but you made me feel even worse now

M

mset68

1. I don't understand why SicklyBloom's post made you feel worse? They didn't say you were a witch. They just tried to express that Italy has a diverse cultural spectrum.

2. Why is your ethnicity so important to you? I'm Italian but I really don't care about the past or my "heritage". It so rarely comes up in conversation that it's not an issue. If it's such an ordeal, just make something up. Say that you're Spanish, or Jewish, or whatever. But you're not going to find any ethnicity out there that nobody hates. Every group is hated/feared/vilified by some other group.

3. Focus on who you are, not the group you are part of.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

I've been doing a lot of racial and cultural awareness and accountability work on myself this year. It isn't fun or uplifting but it I find it meaningful and resonates with my core values.
In my way of thinking, it is possible to hold more than one truth about the races and religion I was born into. I am a deeply flawed but that's okay, because so was everyone who came before me.

I can acknowledge the historical and contemporary privilege I enjoy due to my skin color, even though I didn't ask for it or earn it. I can be aware of systems of power and oppression that benefit me--and choose to live according to values that undermine those systems and seek to repair inequity.
And, I can do all that while admiring some of the accomplishments and being truly inspired by certain individuals, who have exploited and displaced and slain others, or been horrible to their families.

I feel I can live this way only by accepting that no human being (and therefore no group or people) is worthy of unequivocal adoration, praise and reverence. No one. We needn't tear down idols if we're willing to resist our human impulse to elevate them to such status in the first place. I can have heroes and she-roes and not overlook their failings.

AlwaysinCrown

AlwaysinCrown

I've the same. I'm Oikophobe. I don't like my country's heritage, history and cultural elements too. I guess in your case it's not an Oikophobia as you're American. America was created by people of different nationalities, so you can focus on much of being an American.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
You should be proud to be Italian. A family centred, loving people with high standards. I have never met an Italian who doesn't think Italians are better than everyone else ;)

Proud to be American
There are amazing people who are both
I agree that you should focus on you though, and not your heritage

I used to be embarrassed about being English due to football hooliganism and the way young people behave when on holiday in Greece/Spain etc. but they are a minority. I'm proud to be English now.

Please do take care when getting upset with other forum members because it can be very distressing to come online and read that, when they were just trying to be kind and welcoming. I do understand you are struggling too however.

P

Purpleplum

Ignore the people who can't let go of past history. That is just a small amount but they get a lot of publicity.

No race, nationality or religion is without sin of their own to others. No one should judge.

M

Mistral

There are a lot of people and nationalities that have been portrayed incorrectly in the movies and TV. Cowboys were not the heroes portrayed in westerns, but were just ordinary itinerant farm workers. Most master villains in American movies are English, but that is not true in real life. Not all English people speak like members of the Royal Family, but when watching many movies you would be forgiven for thinking that they did. In fact very few people in England or the UK in general speak like this. They often have accents that sound very strange to the average person from the USA. So I would not take much notice of what you see on TV or the movies when it comes to how nationalities are portrayed.

AlwaysinCrown

AlwaysinCrown

There are a lot of people and nationalities that have been portrayed incorrectly in the movies and TV. Cowboys were not the heroes portrayed in westerns, but were just ordinary itinerant farm workers. Most master villains in American movies are English, but that is not true in real life. Not all English people speak like members of the Royal Family, but when watching many movies you would be forgiven for thinking that they did. In fact very few people in England or the UK in general speak like this. They often have accents that sound very strange to the average person from the USA. So I would not take much notice of what you see on TV or the movies when it comes to how nationalities are portrayed.
The other reason I don't like my country is history and being too rooted in the past. There were a nobility governing and rest of people live in poverty and have to work for them. We're also taught our historic armies like winged hussars were brave but in fact they were killing civilians and made what all males do. I also don't like our heroes. I think they way we talk about them is a social construct created in 19 c. when Poland was divided by three countries and Poles didn't have their own countries. I also don't understand why we celebrate more defeats than victories.

W

Wanttofeelpeace5

alot of shame in our country of how colonials treated the maoris and still do. red neck racism is still rife here and maoris are still treated unjust IMO . You cant take a culture away from people and expect good results history all over the world has proven this time and time again .

AlwaysinCrown

AlwaysinCrown

Yeah, colonialism was the worst thing that happened to non-European nations.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Unless your a vampire and lived through all of the past i think your good 😜 noone should be held unaccountable for their ancestors. We dont choose where we are born

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
JessisMe Depression Forum 4