• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

not impressed...

L

loz91

well, just got back form my first appointment with pyschiatrist, and not to happy with how things went.

basically, ive been given anti-depressants, and told that pyschology isnt an option because im apparently not much of a talker :unsure: (i did tell them im not normally like this, but it didnt seem to matter.)

i feel like half of its my own fault, iv felt so mind numbingly crap lately, i just dont care anymore. i cant concentrate, my memory is terrible, and i just never know what to say. i just feel like he didnt go into much detail about anything, not much was asked about how i feel when either really high or really low, i didnt get asked anything about the massive affect its had on my life, the fact i had to quit a job i used to love, because i just couldnt cope anymore.

he did say he didnt want to label me with anything like bipolar because of my age, i half expected this, so it didnt bother me much, i just wish someone would see that this isnt normal, that its more than just the depression side of it :mad:

he made out that i was just a generally quiet, not very motivated person, and my 'highs' were just me occasionally getting excited about things. which i feel is totally not the case.

i was asked what i thought and if i had any questions, i said no, i thought about trying to explain, but i just didnt have the strength so i just left.

im seeing my gp tomorrow, which im quite pleased about as i feel ok with her and should be able to talk to her and tell her what happened. i just dont know what to do now? do i try and get a second opinion?? :confused:

M

mad as a hatter

well i tell u they,d gave up on me yrs ago cause i tend not 2 be able 2 put things into words i think that,s dreadful he should realised it was ur 1st appointment honestly i don,t get them at times i think u do need 2 spk 2 ur gp 2 morrow c if there,s ne thing more that can be done especially if it,s having such an big effect on ur life good luck

M

maudikie

Maudikie to Mickie.

I think when you see you g.P. you should tell him/her of your dis-satisfaction, and it is agood idea to ask for a second opinion. Different people have different raports, and you may find another psychiatrist who you can alk to more easily.:)

L

loz91

thanks for the reply :flowers:

i know i find it difficult talking about things, its taken alot for me to get this far. ive been seeing my gp for nearly 3 months and im only starting to feel able to tel her how i really feel. it didnt help that there were 2 of them, one was the pysch, not sure who the other person was, but its not easy to talk to someone i dont know as it is, nevermind with someone else sat beside me taking notes and asking more questions. i just dont like the assumptions he seems to have made about me as a person, i know there not true but he didnt seem to listen when i told him. its like he's making out that this is just me, the not talking and feeling really low, but i know its not :(

S

shell

thanks for the reply :flowers:

i know i find it difficult talking about things, its taken alot for me to get this far. ive been seeing my gp for nearly 3 months and im only starting to feel able to tel her how i really feel. it didnt help that there were 2 of them, one was the pysch, not sure who the other person was, but its not easy to talk to someone i dont know as it is, nevermind with someone else sat beside me taking notes and asking more questions. i just dont like the assumptions he seems to have made about me as a person, i know there not true but he didnt seem to listen when i told him. its like he's making out that this is just me, the not talking and feeling really low, but i know its not :(
Really sorry you didn't get to speak about your problems make sure you tell your g p how you were treated. I hope you get things sorted out. Take care x

L

loz91

do you think i shoud wait and see what my gp has to say before i take any medication? he's wants me to take 20mg Fluoxetine.

thanks

S

shell

You could do one day won't make much difference. See what your GP says.

S

skyblue

Was it Pyschotherapy he turned you down for, because some people aren't ready for it. People who are being referred to a Psychotherapist have to be ready to talk about their feelings. It's also very draining and hard work.

You may even not be well enough to take Psychotherapy on yet, this could have also been the case.

Mention all what you've said here to the GP tomorrow, he/she maybe able to explain to you in a better and more compassionate way.

:flowers:

S

suki1066

hiya
i allways think its best if possible to take someone who knows you very well to the appointments. They can be your voice and explaine when you carnt and give there views on your moods and behavour. I hope you have a friend or someone who can help you in this way.

L

loz91

il let ya know how it goes with gp tomorrow, i just feel really let down to be honest. il definately be taking someone with me next time, hopefully this will help. I think it just depends on the person as to whether i feel i can talk to them, the person i saw last week for my initial assessment was really nice, and i felt able to tell her how i felt, today i could barely speak :cry: