• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Not getting anywhere

S

squoobz

Hello,

I have recently been under intensive community care at the hospital after a failed suicide attempt where they changed the diagnosis I've had from age 8 (major depressive disorder) to BPD.

After 2 weeks I had a holiday booked so they automatically discharged me under the basis that if I'm well enough to go on holiday then I don't need help, despite regularly self harming.

They haven't transferred me onto any other service and have told me to go to my GP for help. The same GP who increased my prescription the day before my suicide attempt during which I told him I was slipping deeper into depression. Their reasoning is that I'm holding down a job so must be fine.

I feel desperately lonely and unable to get help. I don't feel suicidal now but I almost feel it's what you have to do to get medical/professional attention and help. Where do I go from here?

Thanks,
Squoobz

Nikita

Nikita

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Squoobz :welcome:

I think from here you need to go back to your GP and ask for counselling help to deal with the SH and the suicidal urges.

They do kind of assume if someone is functioning with work and able to do something like go on holiday then what is the problem ?,it is as though the substance is ok so what if the inner landscape is pitch black?There is very little understanding and I am sorry about that.

As the mental health staff don't automatically get it it is a matter of building a relationship with them and educating them somewhat on what we need,so do try get to know your GP and ask directly for what you need don't wait for him to offer cos he may not get it right!Nikitax