Not fit enough to drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M

Meredithmay

The dreaded brown envelope dropped through my door 2 days ago advising me to send my driving licence to the DVLA following medical reports. I have been driving since the age of 17 yrs with no claims on insurance.

I was advised to contact DVLA following hospital admission under section 2 and after further episodes relating to Bipolar disorder.

I have not been driving my car when ill but this does not count. I contacted the agency and they told me that I need to have 6 months clear of any mental health episodes before I would be declared fit to drive.

I feel upset and annoyed that I now have to sell my car.

The mental health professionals have kept me in the dark during this time.

Mm:low:

Fuscia

Fuscia

I was unwell for 18 months with three admissions and never was told to contact the dvla. Its so unfair that you had to and that you have to be stable for six months. Thats a very long time.

M

Meredithmay

Hi Fuscia,

They advised me to contact the DVLA. I have to admit that I was nervous driving my car because if the DVLA are not notified that you have a mental health problem and you do have an accident then it is an £1000 fine and your insurance is not valid. Prior to this I was blissfully unaware driving around for years in my role as a Social Worker. I do not work now so this is fortunate. I can manage without a car but its just another loss. I know I am a safe driver but its out of my hands.

I am pleased for you that you are still able to drive.

catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Am sorry, hope you can get drivig again soon.
I haven't been allowed to drive for a few years due to dissociation, I was relieved to be honest and can't afford a car anyway but hope I can drive again at some point. Hope you can too.x

Passionflower

Passionflower

I have also lost my license because I have schizophrenia. I lost it for 3 months and am now reapplying. I have never had any problems driving and am very careful not to drive when particularly ill.
I don't think that people with severe mental illness are always aware that you must inform the DVLA when you are diagnosed as otherwise you can get into a whole lot of trouble and your insurance company needs to know too.If you had an accident your insurance would be void and you can be fined also.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Me also, I lost my license last year, and re-applying for it. Probably was too soon.

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

I'm sorry, I didn't even know people lost their licenses because mental illness. This really is scaring me.

pepecat

pepecat

It's a UK thing..... I'd check out the regulations in the state you're in if you're worried, Linc.

I was advised by my psych not to drive if I felt ..... um, well, I am prone to...er...'risky behaviour' in a car when I'm unwell. So I was told not to drive if I felt like that. And I don't. But I didn't have to declare anything to the DVLA. Had I been stopped by the cops, I would probably have been in trouble.

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

It's a UK thing..... I'd check out the regulations in the state you're in if you're worried, Linc.

I was advised by my psych not to drive if I felt ..... um, well, I am prone to...er...'risky behaviour' in a car when I'm unwell. So I was told not to drive if I felt like that. And I don't. But I didn't have to declare anything to the DVLA. Had I been stopped by the cops, I would probably have been in trouble.
Sue said it is normally only Bipolars who are aggressive who lose their licenses in this state.

greenfairy

greenfairy

I'm waiting for a decision from the DVLA to hand my license back...I've been waiting a year-not easy lliving without a car when you're seven miles from anywhere.Even though my Pdoc has discharged me,they are still dithering,and said I should know by September.Fingers crossed-and to you as well xxx

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

Guess they must be stricter over here - mind you, it is a lot more crowded on the roads.
That's true. I do live in a state and place where there aren't lots of people.

Fuscia

Fuscia

I have bipolar disorder and do not have to inform dvla or insurance. Not everybody has to.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
you have to tell the DVLA if you have bipolar or schizophrenia, fullstop.

you only have to tell them about other MH conditions, eg depression and EDs, if it affects your ability to drive

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Bipolar Forum 4
K Bipolar Forum 48