Not coping with near death experience

C

Charlie-Is-Anxious

Hey :)

So I have had anxiety and health anxiety for years I have been able to in last few months been able to tell myself I'm just anxious and not dying from a medical condition however a few weeks ago I had a near-death experience and Im lucky to be alive...

I was 100% ok walking around my kitchen when I felt my heart go funny and I felt like impending doom I assumed I was anxious so I sat on a high stool and woke up on the floor unconscious unable to move and I was home alone and I knew something was wrong I felt like Id been hit by a truck and my head hurt so I crawled down the hall to my phone and called an ambulance and waited alone for 2 hours for the ambulance and essentially I ended up having a very severe case of saddle pulmonary embolism; I had dozens of large blood clots in each lung that essentially caused my heart to be damaged and give out. I was rushed to ICU and given very aggressive meds directly into my lungs to save me. I was in ICU for 9 days and I according to my docs am lucky to he alive and they were very worried and its a miracle I even woke up when I collapsed. I had no symptoms of clots or embolism and I have no risk factors and they have no clue why it happened to an otherwise healthy 19-year-old. I am now on heavy blood thinning meds for the rest of my life and need to be monitored often.

Im now terrified to be alone, I cant sit on any stool at the breakfast bar. I also have been very highly health anxious and can't rationalise my anxiety anymore.

How do I cope with this (I already have a therapist)

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
It’s perfectly understandable that you would be terrified. For this to happen and at such a young age is a very scary thing. I know you said your having therapy but I think you need specific talking therapy. I think it’s highly likely that you have ptsd due to trauma. I think you definatly need talking therapy to come to terms with what has happened to you. I don’t know if you have discussed your fears with your MH team if not you definatly should.

Daf:hug:

G

gam9147

Hi there. I'm so sorry to hear about whats happened to you. Absolutely anyone in your situation would be terrified to be alone. I'm afraid to be alone much of the time and my health is perfectly good.

Firstly, don't be alone when you can help it. Seek support from your friends, your family, your medical team and yes you should start some therapy and support gruops. This is a very difficult issue and regardless no one should go it alone! We are here for you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
designguy93 Anxiety Forum 7
I Anxiety Forum 19
P Anxiety Forum 2
F Anxiety Forum 12