• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Not being able to do things others take for granted everyone can do

A

Anastassia Florine

I feel like I can't do a lot of things 90% of the world can do (like letting stuff go) and that they take for granted that everyone can do. And because of this I feel weaker than 90% of the population and the normal people-- and even the people who aren't normal but can do these things-- say it's my fault I don't do these things and think I can do them but just won't. And they make me feel bad that I don't do them.

J

jamesdean

You wouldnt write that statement if you could do those things stop giving yourself a hard time.

I could never do it myself until I had been on ad's for a good few years, and I still have blocks where I still cannot.

Take care JD

PlaceboEffect

PlaceboEffect

Many people struggle even if they don't show it. I somehow manage to get to work even though leaving the house is almost impossible for me. No one at work would know that I have depression and they wouldn't know I find it hard to leave the house. The only way I get through it is being pushed by those around me that love me. Motivation will help you through, when you're ready.

Don't get annoyed with yourself, one day you'll be doing all the things that seem "normal". Try to take little steps and little achievements to get yourself through.

PlaceboEffect

S

shadowmancer

I feel inadequate for not being able to do a lot of the things i think i should be doing, and i start to get in a downward spiral of hating how incapable i am and making myself feel worse. Its hard to get out of but i have to concentrate on the days when i have been able to function and think of the things i was able to do no matter how small or how long ago it was.

messymoo

messymoo

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I often feel very inadequate that I am not working and I feel I should be doing more than I am too but however difficult it is I just try to focus on the small steps that I do achieve.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Hi, I manage to hold down a part time job as a teacher but when I'm at home I find it really really hard to do anything. I feel so guilty about it especially as my husband isn't that well.

Cal

Cal

Founding Member
i have problems doing things most people take for granted aswell like using the phone or using the communal washing lines (i dry mine on an airer in the bath) even getting up in the morning can be a struggle some days. Try not to let it get to you, i'd agree PlaceboEffect start with small steps and work your way up :)

N

Nutter_09

Hi,
What sorts of things do you find you can't do with depression?
I am unable to go to work at the mo - I tried but my anxiety gets the better of me and my docs and councellor now say to just take it easy and stop getting strssed for a while. I find it hard to get up a lot and get really tired but I do feel okay sometimes. I still go to my boyf's and occasionally for a drink. I don't just stay in bed.
I sometimes wonder If I am not actually suffering with depression.