• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Not able to focus more than a minute - help pls

M

MrNewOne

I am unable to focus more than a minute. This gives me a fear and make me thinking i will never be able to enjoy the time. Whether i am talking to my wife or working every few second this fear comes up and destroy my focus..its really frustrating and sad for me

its been two weeks now..its really stressful
has any one had this before? i never been to doctor. any advise?
thanks

lindyhop

lindyhop

Hi @MrNewOne, you seem to have a self-perpetuating loop where your focus is getting hijacked by your fear of losing your focus. I would suggest getting an experts opinion but one thing that may help is to let yourself off the hook so to speak when your focus drifts (because it is the default setting of the mind to wander) and gently return back to what you were previously focusing on similar to how meditation works.

M

MrNewOne

Hi @MrNewOne, you seem to have a self-perpetuating loop where your focus is getting hijacked by your fear of losing your focus. I would suggest getting an experts opinion but one thing that may help is to let yourself off the hook so to speak when your focus drifts (because it is the default setting of the mind to wander) and gently return back to what you were previously focusing on similar to how meditation works.
Thanks sir
You mean to suggest i keep thinking of the same subject which i was focusing even though i loose the focus?

i would like to see a doctor
How common is this sir though? Is it OCD or anxiety?

thanks

lindyhop

lindyhop

Thanks sir
You mean to suggest i keep thinking of the same subject which i was focusing even though i loose the focus?

i would like to see a doctor
How common is this sir though? Is it OCD or anxiety?

thanks
Yeah I mean just try to gently coax your mind back to the same subject even if you have to coax it back a thousand times but each time being gentle with yourself as it's the nature of the mind to wander.

I'm not sure if its OCD or anxiety and to be honest only a medical professional could tell you this.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Could this be ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder)? I'm thinking it might be since you say, "I am unable to focus more than a minute."

P

prsn

I am unable to focus more than a minute. This gives me a fear and make me thinking i will never be able to enjoy the time. Whether i am talking to my wife or working every few second this fear comes up and destroy my focus..its really frustrating and sad for me

its been two weeks now..its really stressful
has any one had this before? i never been to doctor. any advise?
thanks
As already mentioned sounds like ADD or ADHD. Has anything happened in your life recently that could have been particularly stressful or emotional Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

P

prsn

I would go to your doctor if it continues

M

MrNewOne

thanks gents
lindyhope above has very clearly put it in right words about how i feel

so not sure if its OCD or anxiety
my GP has advised me to do meditation and relaxing rituals