Not able to deal anxiety with meditation

R

Rea Chakrwarti

I am suffering from anxiety disorder and I did a lot of research the meditation is an effective way to control GAD(General Anxiety Disorder). So, I started with it and from last 15 days I was doing it, but it is not helping me as when I sit to meditate, my head rushes with millions of thoughts and it makes me loose again. Please help me with the problem.

Skynet

Skynet

Hi, I practise meditation as well. (And I'm from India as well!)

When you're meditating and realize you're lost in thought, that's a good sign because the real danger is thinking without knowing that you're thinking. All you need to do at this point is begin again: focus on the sensation of breathing, other sensations and sounds and thus come back to the present.

Do you meditate with a guide or on your own? Meditating on your own may be much harder to do. For my recommended meditation app (the one I use), visit www.wakingup.com. It is a series of 10-minute meditation sessions guided by Sam Harris.

Skynet

Skynet

Hi. I find. meditation very difficult when I'm ill.
Well, everyone probably does. :hug:

The meditation I practise is very simple: Just pay attention to the sounds you hear and don't think about anything. When you catch yourself thinking (as you inevitably will), again start paying attention to the sounds you hear. Repeat until infinity. The goal is to reduce the time your mind spends wandering as that's what causes unhappiness.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

My therapist told me that instead of trying to stop all thoughts during meditation to just allow them to be there.He said to observe them but don't get caught up in them.