• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Not a normal life

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I cannot work.
I cannot do all of the things I would like to do.
Today I cannot stay awake.

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

I feel for you. I have schizophrenia and cannot work either.

Hocotatian

Hocotatian

I am just back to working, but I now can't keep up with housework and other stuff. When I wasn't working my house was so clean.

I have a saying that confuses a lot of people: I can do all the things, but I can do all the things all of the time.

But it is true for me. Im not able to be competent in every area of life simultaneously.

U

Underdog21

I cannot work.
I cannot do all of the things I would like to do.
Today I cannot stay awake.
Hi Tawny,
Is it your mental health that is holding you back? If so, I hope you somehow can work with your psychiatrist to get you to somewhat a functional level. If you are struggling with small tasks like showering, going for a walk etc I definitely think a psychiatrist should review you current mental health state. If you can't work maybe you can't volunteer in something you enjoy doing or perhaps take a trip to a neighbouring city/town with family or a friend. You can take this time to devote to your hobbies (whatever they may be). People work because they need to pay bills primarily and have career ambitions. You have a mental health that is currently holding you back but at some point maybe you can still have a meaningful job if that is what you want. Like I said, if your mental health isn't up to a 70%-80% functional level I think you should talk to your psychiatrist, other than that use this time to do what you can hobbies, travelling, volunteer,take a course etc.

S

singsongfun

Medication definitely has side effects.
Coffee helps with staying awake.
Exercise, for me swimming and walking, helps with mood and motivation.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I am just back to working, but I now can't keep up with housework and other stuff. When I wasn't working my house was so clean.

I have a saying that confuses a lot of people: I can do all the things, but I can do all the things all of the time.

But it is true for me. Im not able to be competent in every area of life simultaneously.
I have heard that about many people, that they work but spend all weekend sleeping or get very behind on housekeeping and keeping in touch with friends.

Can you work less hours?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Me too, bipolar as well. It really hurts watching everyone having a great time with the holidays coming while I struggle. I just want to work and feel valuable I guess but I can’t even get through day to day.
The feeling valuable used to upset me so much but i have noticed how i am being of help to people i come across day to day. I am forever picking up something someone has dropped on the floor like a card, or running after people who left an umbrella in their trolley. There are bigger things too, conversations with strangers.

Are you able to go out much?

I have been baking today and i am finding it really helpful at the moment.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Medication definitely has side effects.
Coffee helps with staying awake.
Exercise, for me swimming and walking, helps with mood and motivation.
Exercise i must get in to. I have a bike i hardly use and will make an effort.

Does coffee always help? Sometimes i have to sleep and nothing will keep me awake but i think that is partly medication.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Hi Tawny,
Is it your mental health that is holding you back? If so, I hope you somehow can work with your psychiatrist to get you to somewhat a functional level. If you are struggling with small tasks like showering, going for a walk etc I definitely think a psychiatrist should review you current mental health state. If you can't work maybe you can't volunteer in something you enjoy doing or perhaps take a trip to a neighbouring city/town with family or a friend. You can take this time to devote to your hobbies (whatever they may be). People work because they need to pay bills primarily and have career ambitions. You have a mental health that is currently holding you back but at some point maybe you can still have a meaningful job if that is what you want. Like I said, if your mental health isn't up to a 70%-80% functional level I think you should talk to your psychiatrist, other than that use this time to do what you can hobbies, travelling, volunteer,take a course etc.
Thank you. I am going to get out on the bus as much as possible. I keep sleeping through the time that i would have to get the bus which is annoying.

The psychiatrist has offered alternative medication but i am too scared to change. Also, in the Spring i will feel much more awake and being more active. It is hard to know what to do for the long term. I'd love to stop all medication, very slowly, but it gets too bad to cope.

S

singsongfun

Exercise i must get in to. I have a bike i hardly use and will make an effort.

Does coffee always help? Sometimes i have to sleep and nothing will keep me awake but i think that is partly medication.
Coffee keeps me awake, but has side effects of anxiety. Apparently it is safe to drink up to 4 cups of coffee a day.

S

SGS

I tend to sleep when I'm tired. Time being my own to spend as I see fit. You shouldn't begrudge being time rich when so many can only dream of it. Meds can mess with the thyroid and make excess tiredness. That's something to keep a eye on. But I'm too old to worry about being tired - not missing much, there is no hurry for the wise.

S

singsongfun

Are you on a drowsy antipsychotic?
Aripiprazole, which I take, is not drowsy. But I have schizophrenia, not bipolar.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Coffee keeps me awake, but has side effects of anxiety. Apparently it is safe to drink up to 4 cups of coffee a day.
I think i might be drinking more than 4 most days. 5? 6? If i am exhausted, it makes me feel dizzy.

I am drinking a cup now and it does help me get moving in the morning. I will still be asleep again in an hour or two though and feel i cannot prevent that. It is annoying because i don't want to go to sleep again.