Norfolk and Suffolk councils criticised for “shameful” lack of spending on mental health

F

firemonkee57

Norfolk and Suffolk councils criticised for “shameful” lack of spending on mental health

The call has come after new figures from the charity Mind revealed local authorities in England spent an average of just 1% of their public health budgets on mental health.

In Norfolk, however, the county council allocated just £200,000 to public mental health interventions in 2014/15 - 0.65% of the total £30.59m budget.

The situation was even more severe in Suffolk, where the county council spent £35,000 on mental health promotion in the same period – 0.13% of the total £26.3m public health budget.

Although the actual spend more than doubled to £73,911, after being “re-prioritised” over the course of the year, that accounted for 0.28% of the total public health budget. This year’s budget for mental health promotion stands at £53,000.

Suffolk County Council, which released the figures in response to a Freedom of Information request, has stressed it spends far more on mental health through its other services, including drug and alcohol treatment, sexual health, and school nursing.

The Campaign to Save Mental Health Services in Norfolk and Suffolk, however, said the amount spent was “shameful”.

Norfolk and Suffolk councils criticised for

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
depends what's meant by mental health spending to me, if you mean spending on social workers to section people or cpns to come round forcing jabs on people mental health spending could be misleading

Starless

Starless

I live in the Norfolk area, and things have been bad here for years. The local government has cut the number of beds by half in the ONE psychiatric hospital within 30 miles over the past couple of years. The local CMHT is overworked and people keep slipping through the cracks. A friend of mine recently had to be sectioned, and for two months she was sent to the fucking Priory. Yep - THE Priory, at the cost of 1,500£ a night! No wonder the budget's in the shitter if they're having to send people that far afield for treatment because there's no local beds. Meanwhile I can't be referred for DBT because it's "not cost effective"...

Talk about the lunatics running the asylum. Makes me so angry.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

Suffolk County Council, which released the figures in response to a Freedom of Information request, has stressed it spends far more on mental health through its other services, including drug and alcohol treatment, sexual health, and school nursing.
Umm, forgive me if I'm being thick, but since when have things like GUM clinics and 'school nursing' been classed as 'mental health services'?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i think services that deal with social issues and tackle social issues theres a case for them been included in mental health. stronger communities have less mental health issues, it's probably more effective than paying hordes of cpns to stick needles in people

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

i think services that deal with social issues and tackle social issues theres a case for them been included in mental health. stronger communities have less mental health issues, it's probably more effective than paying hordes of cpns to stick needles in people
Yes I think such services could offer MH support Rambo but I'm questioning whether in fact they do. What MH support do GUM clinics offer? 'Always use condoms'? I was a teacher for 18 years - the school nurse was exclusively interested in children with physical problems. I asked a school nurse to help me decide whether an injury I'd noticed on a seven-year-old was a cigarette burn, as I suspected. She told me that wasn't part of her remit. If potential child abuse isn't a mental health issue, I don't know what is :(

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
my first visit to the clap clinic the dr said the last mentally ill guy he had had died of kidney failure due to aids 2 months later, gave me all the tests and immunised me for hepatitus b, the next time i went i think the new dr thought i was attention seeking and making up having sex

One counciller said it must upset you that she sleeps around, i said thats not very feminist i thought women could sleep with any man they like

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi I need help with my mental health but I am finding it hard to get any I just want to take to some one
Hi Matt,
You could try complaining to your mental health care trust or try going to your MP.
It's terrible they are not helping you more.
Good luck

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
on the one hand they say your not a priority on mental health grounds but if you complain about them they then say your complaint is due to you been mentally ill and therefore suspect

M

Matthew 666

on the one hand they say your not a priority on mental health grounds but if you complain about them they then say your complaint is due to you been mentally ill and therefore suspect
Very true I try and talk to the crisis team but that was a waste of time just said you need to get referral for my doctor by that time I,d had enough and gave up

M

Matthew 666

Hi mat here sorry to bother you again I did try and get in touch with a case worker but no luck all I wanted is to talk to someone but no luck.so I managed to see a doctor (not my own doctor) and she listened and tried to point me in the right direction I know that there is only so much that a GP can do but she helped as much as she could do

honeybadger

honeybadger

Mental health is a matter of opinion anymore. More studies equates to more pills for practitioners to practice with. Solutions are irrelevant when the diagnosis destroys the lives of entire families. Just the diagnosis from someone who will never know you, never had and never will

M

Matthew 666

Mental health is a matter of opinion anymore. More studies equates to more pills for practitioners to practice with. Solutions are irrelevant when the diagnosis destroys the lives of entire families. Just the diagnosis from someone who will never know you, never had and never will
Thanks you for that

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
whether or not mental health is a matter of opinion, it is fact i'm on drugs that if i come off i'll be very ill, and the people who push certain ideas are also into pushing me to come off drugs