• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Non Reaction

Kerome

Kerome

Hmm, I dunno. I was once accused by a manager of faking my cv, to which I didn't react. In hindsight, that didn't work out that well. It was like the conversation never happened, and things just carried on, but it was a wounding kind of statement which I've never really made peace with. It shocked me at the time, and it still annoys me today, because it was totally untrue and he had no call to say it. So I'd say in a case like that, a controlled response to start a conversation is better.

But then I have used non-reaction successfully in a few tricky situations, and maybe avoided some violence with it too.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i think it could be useful in certain situations, but i think some of the examples they use are a bit ridiculous. i dont think it would go well if a friend told me what a crap day they had had and i just blanked them.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I think that as long as you're not doing yourself a huge disservice, non-reaction can be very effective.

It's pretty much been how i've dealt with a lot of things. Looking back, there are several occasions where I was dishonouring and disempowering myself by not at least telling someone to fuck off.
Other times, I can see how I kept my own dignity in tact and actually had more of an effect on another person by showing now reaction and keeping calm.