• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Non fiction about mental health.

K

Kevin1990

Recently I was intrigued to buy a book called steppe wolf about a man with the psychosis of believing he is a wolf. It was pretty good. I then bought the Russian book the idiot which so far is about people who have temporary fits of insanity. Has anyone else read any good books on mental health problems?

I also watched video introductions on YouTube concerning Jung and keirkemgaard and there versions of stress self and archtypical meaning. These put me at ease with my condition a little more as they explained significant elements of the philosophy of my delusions. Does anyone know of any short introductions to this field?

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
There is a vast amount that has been written on mental health, from many different perspectives. It depends what aspects of it all you are interested in?

K

Kevin1990

Anything dealing with symbolism or anxiety

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Anything dealing with symbolism or anxiety
Tons of stuff.

Depends i feel a lot on if you are a materialist & as to what stock you place in such areas?

Many thousands of books exploring Jungian / depth / Transpersonal Psychology & the links between Myth & Symbol.

With Jung i do feel it's better to go to the source -

From the Collected Works -

Volume 3 – Psychogenesis of Mental Disease (1960)
Volume 5 – Symbols of Transformation (1967, a revision of Psychology of the Unconscious, 1912)
Volume 12 – Psychology and Alchemy (1968)
Volume 13 – Alchemical Studies (1968)
Volume 18 – The Symbolic Life (1977)

The Red Book.

Gail Hornstein lists a very extensive Bibliography of First-Person Narratives of Madness in English -

Works - Gail A. Hornstein

Also depends on how broad you want to look into things? In a far broader sense, World Mythology, Comparative Religion, Philosophy, Symbolism; covers vast tracts - thousands of Mythologies / Systems, Over 2 thousand religions, over 5 thousand gods etc, etc.

Kerome

Kerome

It sounds like you are trying to do this:

Conquer Your Anxiety with Philosophy | Psychology Today

There are many existentialist philosophers who can maybe shed some light on your thinking. Look at at Sartré, Camus or Heidegger.

I'm afraid I don't know the field of significant therapists well enough to recommend any of them.

K

Kevin1990

Thanks for the bibliography, I want to stick to the strict social symbolic interaction it's approach in a sense of personal symbols and signs and especially concerning symbols and personification. I am hoping to find coping methods for why certain people I know take part in storylines in my delusions because I want to. E able to code real symbols and signs quicker to force an end to these storylines. I'm hoping to stay away from religious symbolism, as my delusions are not particularly about religious content. However they do always have a mystical quality about them, which is why I kinda want to stay away from the romantic and existential schools if I can. But I think I've got to approach it more from a practical way than the artistic way I approached it at uni. Is Jung and the pyscho analyticals with the exestemtiists the most modern way of approaching it. I am running out of progress on the medical benefits of doctoring and have deadlines due in September for a new course. I also need to research the science of sleep.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
F The association among smoking, HSV-1 exposure, and cognitive functioning in schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and non-psychiatric controls Schizophrenia Forum 1
Lone_wanderer Non-compliance Schizophrenia Forum 16
F Is non-pharmacological treatment an option for certain schizophrenia patients? Schizophrenia Forum 5
F Increased mortality in schizophrenia due to cardiovascular disease – a non-systematic review of epidemiology, possible causes, and interventions Schizophrenia Forum 7
S Constant pacing, non stop smoking and drinking coffee, help?! Schizophrenia Forum 6
GreenEmerald If your schizophrenia is non spiritual, are your voices just commentary or are they like a full conversation maintained by a completely seperate perso Schizophrenia Forum 2
cpuusage Non-Medical Models: schizophrenia as a spiritual/mystical emergency Schizophrenia Forum 6
F Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may help reduce schizophrenia symptoms Schizophrenia Forum 1
cpuusage Philip K. Dick's Paranoid Science Fiction Has Largely Become Our Everyday Reality Schizophrenia Forum 1
S Should I tell them I have mental illness/depression or schizophrenia? Schizophrenia Forum 15
T The lessons I learned about my mental illness. Schizophrenia Forum 4
THE MANDALORIAN Sleep is the best mental therapy. Schizophrenia Forum 4
R rethink mental illness Schizophrenia Forum 22
P is there any mental health forums that are in the US? Schizophrenia Forum 9
S Goodbye Mental Health Forum. Schizophrenia Forum 25
THE MANDALORIAN My 90 was 10%: Mental progress Schizophrenia Forum 3
TDCI1994 When did your schizophrenia first start and was there any previous mental health issues before? Schizophrenia Forum 58
DancingEyes Diet and mental health Schizophrenia Forum 5
I Money and mental health. Schizophrenia Forum 1
N Romantic relationships when future of your mental state is unknown Schizophrenia Forum 4
O Make sure you are in the Severe Mental Illness category at your local GP surgery to get the Coronavirus vaccine Schizophrenia Forum 52
K whatr mental health stuff could i be learning during covid Schizophrenia Forum 6
D recommended to take a year off and focus on my mental health Schizophrenia Forum 3
S Mental Health issues Schizophrenia Forum 2
S Aspects of head and mental illness. Schizophrenia Forum 1
THE MANDALORIAN Going to the mental function Schizophrenia Forum 2
ht46 Creativity to help with mental illness Schizophrenia Forum 2
Bluejay7500 Falling for mental traps. Schizophrenia Forum 6
LORD BURT What would be the most unbearable mental torture? Schizophrenia Forum 26
FadeToBlack Ditching Mental Health Services Schizophrenia Forum 13
J Mental Illness and family Schizophrenia Forum 4
J Anyone have eye problems that feels related to their mental struggles? Schizophrenia Forum 12
Mark_01 We Shut Down State Mental Hospitals Schizophrenia Forum 2
S A base in mental health Schizophrenia Forum 0
N Am I suffering from Schizophrenia or any other mental illness? Schizophrenia Forum 1
Mark_01 World Mental Health Day Schizophrenia Forum 1
S Goodbye mental clinics Schizophrenia Forum 5
LORD BURT The Positive Mental Health Boost of Having a Routine Schizophrenia Forum 6
P Has anyone else successfully been discharged by the mental health team in England? Schizophrenia Forum 8
D Mental health team don’t believe me Schizophrenia Forum 9
S Rant about stigma and mental illness Schizophrenia Forum 55
fazza Liverpool Mental heathcare for Treatment resistive Schizophrenia is a joke Schizophrenia Forum 5
P Have you had any other mental illnesses in the past or now? Schizophrenia Forum 8
boudreauj4 good books about mental illness or schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 5
cpuusage Severe mental illness linked to much higher risk for cardiovascular disease Schizophrenia Forum 2
LORD BURT Is it sign of poor mental health to collect old documents and hoard them? Schizophrenia Forum 6
Mark_01 Emotional Pain and Mental Illness Schizophrenia Forum 8
cpuusage Gail Hornstein: Why don't mental health professionals take first-hand accounts of madness seriously? Schizophrenia Forum 7
boudreauj4 Mental Illness in Music Schizophrenia Forum 7
cpuusage Identity & mental illness Schizophrenia Forum 22