• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Non-commanding, non-violent voices

F

FallenAngel7514

Okay, for about three years now, (since I was 23) I have been hearing three voices consistently, day and night. They never try to get me to do anything, in fact, most of the time they don't talk to me at all, they just talk. Sort of like a constant Mystery Science 3000 experience, with my life and surroundings as the subject matter, but never in an insulting or demeaning manner. It hasn't really bothered me much, but lately I find myself laughing at the comments at inappropriate times (i.e. a funeral). I was looking for some advice on how to maybe minimize the disruption in my normal life. If that's even possible.
Any help at all would be appreciated.

J

JETBOY

YES WONDERFUL VIOCES /who said that /

MMMMMM listen i find this very enlitening ,i hear voices always to ,not nasty
as you say ,not talking over me but to me ,with me ,comenting during a
conversation with someone ,just as though someone were behind me .
i work in a charity shop and people are always chatting to me ,now this is
hard being as deppressed as i am ,but they are amusing these vioces
and i do have to hide laughter sometimes ,they make unkind comments about
peoples appearance and boils and coldshores ,you name it they will pick it
out and shout in my head ,and i cant stop it ,and mimic oh boy ,
but you know what i couldent live without them ,they are me ,and my
deppression ,and really they can be funny ,i would not be me without them,
love yours CANT TELL YOU HOW TO HELP WITH THEM SORRY ,JETBOY

R

rasselas

in my opinion you hear yourself

Last edited:
F

FallenAngel7514

Hmm....

If it's me, why is one of them a woman?

A

antipsionic

OK, for a long time before I heard threatening or commanding voices I was in a situation similar to you Fallen Angel.

By the way Mystery Science Theater 3000 was one of my favourite shows when it aired on the SciFi channel so can relate to the way you express what you are experiencing.

It brings to mind a number of issues with what is going on.

The first is can you deal with what you are experiencing without it getting in the way of your life? If so do you really need help with it? If you talk to a professional about it you may get yourself labeled with a serious mental health problem which will follow you around for the rest of your life and you will have to deal with stigma and discrimination that come with it and probably end up loaded on psychiatric meds for the rest of your existence.

The problem I see also is that if you don't seek help this problem may become worse and you may end up hearing threatening and commanding voices or experiencing seriously delusional thoughts, this is not a definite outcome, only a possible one and may not manifest.

One thing I should add is that if you use any street drugs, perhaps you should give them a rest for a while and that might lead to a cessation of the issue. Monitor the dosage of drugs you use and if the problem re-occurs then it might be time to give up.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

J

JETBOY

good point

thats a good point ,anti ,and i agree about the not affecting your life bit ,
i enjoy my voices they harm no one ,and they make me laugh ,im in control
of my life ,and i know the voices are mine ,,,,,if they became otherwise
i would be off to my phycy without fail ,,,,,,,,,JETBOY

F

FallenAngel7514

No drugs for me, thanks....

First, let me say I appreciate the time you have all taken to contribute advice, comments, etc. to my situation. I really appreciate it, and knowing that other people have similar problems somehow makes it easier. In response to AntiPsychoticPsionic, I do not use recreational drugs, nor have I ever been tempted to. Don't even drink, anymore. I don't really have any problems dealing with this, except the afore-mentioned funerial oopsie. Mostly I just need a little advice on toning them down a little, from a casual conversation to a dull mutter, say. Other than that, they're actually a lot of fun, even if they don't talk to me, per se.

J

JETBOY

cant turn mine down

hi how you doing ,im sorry i am unable to turn my voices down or push them
into the background ,i often have to check that im not really saying these things out loud sometimes ,but no im ok ,they are fun as you say ,i just think
there a coping mecanisam for me ,some of the things they say when im
stood talking to someone ,picking fault with the persons weight or the way
they look ,can be crueil ,i think my voices are the real me talking ,the voice
i use normally is the quiet one with no self esteem ,but the inside voices
are the real me just dying to get out ,,,,,dont be alone its ok
there must be hundreds of people like you and me ,i dont do drugs or drink
and have a sound mind ,,,,,,,,,,,catch you later JETBOY ,,,,,,,ken

S

serialinsomniac

Although I have a set of belligerent voices (I call them 'They') who tell me to do horrible things and are just a bloody curse, I had a totally benevolent - even friendly - voice for some time. He would appear in times of extreme stress to try and calm me down, as well as just randomly at points to talk to me. I wrote more about it here. Just my luck that the anti-psychotic has got rid of him, but not the malevolent lot :(

Anyway, you're not alone. Someone said to me that a non-threatening voice could be seen as a positive thing, even a skill. There's a lot to be said for it in many ways.

Take care :)

A

Ainsworth

hello FallenAngel

ive had voices since i was a child, so im quite use to them, i have 3, 2 men and a woman but she doesnt speak much.

i dont know how to make them dull down, they are part of my life now, so i just accept they happen and they can be very amusing at times :LOL:

i havent helped you :oops::D

C

ConnorC

This is normal usually, I have my own voice, or what I dipict myself to sound like inside my mind, when Im talking to people I will say in my head what I want to say and i get a selection of mean things or nice things to say, I dont know if yours is any differant but as far as I know this is just concience.

ravenbanner

ravenbanner

I hear the voices very much as you do Fallenangel different people all the time, sometimes male, sometimes female.

Returncc

Returncc

mystery science theatre other people?

the voices are there because you want them to be, if you try concentrating on rejecting inner voices, you might be able to push their "sink" out of your head, until you want to hear them again, etc.. deny this through meditation and they might go away and stay away... try feeling that outside is more "real" than inside, deny the value of wanting voices within, etc...

J

jac the hat

I hear voices & have always had them sometimes its just murmuring like I cant really make out whats being said - a personal conversation that I am not party to - Often they are helpful sometimes funny and sometimes frightened one of my alters 'speaks' with sensations up and down my spine its funny but i know the code - its like a game - also have fragments of speech like a broken record that just starts up and can be quite annoying and distracting but so far there have been no suggestions to act in any way.

Raina Walks

Raina Walks

Hi,

My voices are commanding and violent...wish I had your problem...but as far as minimizing the disruption it is hard to control what the voices do just how you react to what they do. Once I had someone over helping me put something together and the voices said something that would make me frown deliberately so that he would see me and wonder if I was unappreciative...other times they were able to pretend to be people from my past and got me to laugh out loud but I don't let them do that anymore especially when I am in public...I tend to maintain a serious look and pensive mode...that way the voices cannot override me and make me laugh...since my mood is guarded they cannot change my mood by what they say...they have not been able to make me laugh for almost a year now and especially not in public. I slipped up once or twice but I was home alone...I made it a mission to not let them do that to me...once I set the goal to not let it happen they tried to beat me but after a while they pretty much gave up...
I hate hearing voices and will never accept them as part of me or my life...I meditate and pray every day that they will be silenced permanently ...I have been hearing them on and off since I was eight years old. For the last three years they have been brutal.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
blog15 Hearing Voices Forum 15