• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Noisy Neighbours and Caring for a Brain Damaged Person

bulbie

bulbie

No idea if this is an appropriate place for this to be put there are so many sub forums.

Just got the keys to our new place today. And our neighbours are extremely loud. Like we were flat out lied to at the viewing when I specifically asked about this very issue.

The tv has been blaring since 8pm, then they turned that off and started blaring fucking music at 10.45.

We just got our damn keys ten hours ago, we haven't even got any stuff in yet. And no, this is definitely NOT a case of once our stuff is in we won't notice anyone else's npise. Our whole damn flat was shaking, and it was drowning out what o was watching and I had to just give up.

I am a carer for a brain damaged man who has PTSD also, he gets distressed very easily. What do I do? Do we try and get back our old place before anything has even happened here, before the tenancy has really started? I know roughly whT to do in the case of a noisy neighbour but this isn't a normal healthy person I have here so the wIting weeks or possibly months until this is resolved isn't an option. I'm not in the best of health either, my migraines have been very bad, I'm autistic, I have other mental health issues, this type of thing distresses me easily too. I've taken a note of the noise so far tonight but I'm not happy that we were lied to just so they would get our rent money. I asked them what the neighbours were like, and they said they were really lovely, no problem trouble Whatsoever, there were only really two other flats on the entire building occupied.

What the fuck do I do? O can't even process what I'm reading just now never mind anything else. I want to speak to the letting agent first thng because I'm not living with this and I'm definitely not fucking accepting just talk to the neighbour and they will understand. I have never had a single noisy neighbour yet that has ever been understanding when they've been approached. Mores to the point I don't feel confident or safe in talking to them face to face and neither does he and yes I am aware that we haven't even met them yet and they might be really nice.

I'm incredibly stressed because he loves this flat and there's a chance we might not get to keep it already. Because I'm not living with this racket every fucking night or even every fucking weekend.

Mayfair

Mayfair

Oh dear. I know this.

Noisy neighbours is awful.

Given that this is the first night, it could be coincidence (i.e. could be randomly a party or birthday or something), or it could be problematic. I'd give it another day before making any decisions.

bulbie

bulbie

I will, thanks for your reply, it helps to know I'm not alone.

Yeah a few days, if it continues I'll stick a note through the door, neither of us are comfortable confronting a stranger with such a tender subject. I've had a noisy neighbour in Scotland before not too long ago so I know the procedure so to speak.

Stuff is coming today, i be asking M to bring my noise cancelling headphones I think, I have a feeling all hell is going to break loose down there this weekend, especially since they seem to think it's a good idea to put the tv back on at 4am LOUDLY. Did not need this stress...

SarahD

SarahD

How awful. Problems with neighbours are terrible. I hope it is just a one-off.

Thinking of you. Moving is a pain anyway, you don't need any more hassle.

Sarah xxx

bulbie

bulbie

I have everything crossed it is, but not much hope.

I got a migraine after the stress of yesterday. More stuff is coming today.

katya

katya

I have everything crossed it is, but not much hope.

I got a migraine after the stress of yesterday. More stuff is coming today.
I'm so sorry to hear you're experiencing this at your new place, bulbie. I would get in touch with the letting agents and ask them if they have any alternative accommodation for you, because you're very unhappy with the conditions at this place - I'd stress the fact that you're a carer, you're under a lot of stress and they have a duty to ensure that the living standards are liveable. They should offer you alternative accommodation, I feel.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
peaceful housing should be as much an issue for the mentally ill as adapted housing is for the physically disabled, it doesn't help that only certain people are housed in certain housing, i should change the record but a neighbour who's got housed on mental health grounds who refuses treatment, pity they don't refuse the housing on the grounds that they're not mentally ill as they claim

Unique1

Unique1

If this neighbour is a problem and the letting agents have rented this accommodation before then at a guess they would know this. I'm sure there was a new law about informing people of noisy or problematic neighbours. May not be same in Scotland. Yes I would definitely approach the letting agents,no doubt there wont be anything in your tenancy agreement although I would check that, letting agents tend to quite the tenancy agreement.
If you specifically asked about this and they new about it then they are surely in breach. Maybe you could ask if they have ever had complaints from any other tenant that has lived there, that's if they have let it before.
Tenancy agreements usually say ' you are entitled to the quiet enjoyment of the property' as standard.
I wish you well.

bulbie

bulbie

Thank you Unique1, I will be going through it with a fine toothed comb this weekend. And rhamboghettouk I think you make an excellent point, I agree in full.

Jruth, I'll contact them on Monday, we made them clear about his mental health issues from day one, and that a peaceful and safe environment was an absolute priority. I'm still hoping we're wrong though and it was a one off...

katya

katya

Jruth, I'll contact them on Monday, we made them clear about his mental health issues from day one, and that a peaceful and safe environment was an absolute priority. I'm still hoping we're wrong though and it was a one off...
Me too, yeah. Fingers crossed for you.

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
Thinking of you bulbie, what a terribly difficult situation to be facing, I feel for you. I hope you have got somewhere with the letting agent. I hope the situation does turn out better than it's looking right now. Strength to you x

bulbie

bulbie

Thank you.

Quiet night last night. She was definitely in though. Heard her voice and her TV. Hoping for the same tonight.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
how has the noise been last few nights?

bulbie

bulbie

I haven't had anything like the first night but I'm always on edge, waiting. I can definitely hear her TV but it's not really at an unacceptable level... :unsure:

Mayfair

Mayfair

I haven't had anything like the first night but I'm always on edge, waiting. I can definitely hear her TV but it's not really at an unacceptable level... :unsure:
My new neighbours are a bit noisy, but I've had much worse in the past, and I mean MUCH worse. I copied some of them on youtube so if you want you can see what I mean.

Loud TV might be slight deafness, but the main thing is them now. If it's been not like first night then it could have been party.

Let's hope so! I know what you mean on edge - I can't relax when random things (like noisy neighbours) keep occurring.