NO psychiatric intensive care beds for women so they’re sent to Yorkshire instead

F

firemonkee57

NO psychiatric intensive care beds for women so they’re sent to Yorkshire instead

A PSYCHIATRIC hospital in Poole has no intensive care beds for women and routinely sends patients hundreds of miles for treatment – at a cost of more than £1.8million in the last year.

Following a Daily Echo investigation, Dorset HealthCare University Foundation Trust admitted it has just five intensive psychiatric care beds in the county, all based at St Ann’s Hospital in Canford Cliffs, and none are used for females.

In the last year, the lack of facilities resulted in patients being transferred as far away as Bradford in Yorkshire, Cheadle in Greater Manchester and other institutions scattered across the country on 60 separate occasions.

Of the £1,875,031 paid to other care providers between September 2013 and September 2014, more than £1.4million was handed to private company Cygnet Health Care – with just 11.5 per cent of the total money spent staying in the NHS.

A parent with a daughter at St Ann’s, who is in her 80s and did not want to be named, said the service for women was ‘like something from the dark ages’, branding the facilities ‘disgusting’ and ‘unfit for a dog’.

“They only told me she would be transferred to Bradford 30 minutes before they took her away by ambulance,” she added.

“I was so upset – they told me I was hysterical and that I would not be allowed to see her before she left.

“It took six hours to take her there and left her very distressed – she was so far away from her family and we desperately wanted to be by her side.

“It was horrendous, like a nightmare. She hated being so far away.”

After complaining, she said the next time her daughter required intensive treatment, she was taken to a facility in London.

However, accompanied by her husband, also in his 80s, she said travelling around the city had proved difficult and cost £150 for the pair in train and taxi fares.

The scandal of the women sent hundreds of miles for psychiatric treatment

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It's my local loony bin, the grounds are lovely, it's very close to sandbanks - one of the most exclusive areas in the World - it's Not the one i used to be sent to however (was in another county during my hospitalisations). i rang the paper & said i'd be willing to chat with them about the state of local services - they said they may ring back if they were doing another story.

Sandbanks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The local rag has been running a lot of stories on the abysmal state of the local mental health system recently - here's another -

Vulnerable being let down (From Bournemouth Echo)

Not quite sure why now? It's been shit for decades - Good that they are starting to raise some awareness on it all though.

A couple more recent articles here -

“Deeply troubled” man found hanged outside block of flats “struggled to find support he needed” (From Bournemouth Echo)

‘Letting down the most vulnerable’ – your views on Dorset’s mental health services (From Bournemouth Echo)

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
in some ways the lack of beds is a relief when i see my gp i know he's not going to section me

Said to him you can't section me you haven't the beds for it

he said we can section you we'll find a bed

I said ok then section me see if i care

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
thing is cpu they'll use words like yours to justify it

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
thing is cpu they'll use words like yours to justify it
They don't need any reasons/excuses. Won't stop me speaking my truth on it all.

The benefits is another matter, but it wouldn't really make any difference to me if there wasn't a mental health system. Probably better off without it all anyway.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i feel the same way but as they said at john wilson house services and benefits go together as if you don't use services you don't get benefits

THeres people from john wilson house now it's closed had they're benefits stopped

my support worker is pushing me to see him at his office in wembley, once the precedent is set it'll be all the time, that way it's easy for one person to keep an eye on a large no of people and arrange intervention if neccessary, much the same as day centres

Last edited:
cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i feel the same way but as they said at john wilson house services and benefits go together as if you don't use services you don't get benefits

THeres people from john wilson house now it's closed had they're benefits stopped
We're aware of the current climate with austerity & cuts - But i think you'll be OK, especially considering your age, circumstances, condition & history. i've known & know quite a lot of people in various circumstances & on various benefits, to not be in direct contact with services & to still get benefits. There is some degree of social/welfare safety net, despite all the changes & hassle with it all.

my support worker is pushing me to see him at his office in wembley, once the precedent is set it'll be all the time, that way it's easy for one person to keep an eye on a large no of people and arrange intervention if neccessary, much the same as day centres
i've just seen the GP for the past 2 years. Some people seem to get loads of contact with loads of different people. i think a lot of it depends on how people present.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
the chanceller said he's going to make cuts and is going to send out a tax breakdown showing how much is spent on welfare to soften people up, i wonder who he'll target, i'm not convinced theres all those scroungers

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
the chanceller said he's going to make cuts and is going to send out a tax breakdown showing how much is spent on welfare to soften people up, i wonder who he'll target, i'm not convinced theres all those scroungers
It's crazy - Divide & Rule. The percentage of benefit fraud is tiny - it's just the Government making scapegoats. Generally people are genuine - they're claiming sick because they're not well.

View attachment _Mark Anspach.pdf

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
looks like i've lost the women i've been after well you can't expect to play the loser game and get the girl, trust a women to kick you when your down

And it's not as though i'm getting a fortune the money seems to be running out all the time

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
just taken 2 pills or maybe i took the morning dose late feels strong, maybe pills are the answer he says as he heads for an overdose

pepecat

pepecat

I know that area of the world fairly well - Canford Cliffs is mega expensive and as CPU says, right next to Sandbanks, one of the most expensive real estate areas in the world. Seriously.
Poole borough council must get in massive whacks of money from council tax - maybe some of that could be used to help the situation.
Five psych ICU beds for the entire county is just bonkers though..... I seriously think sometimes these idiots reckon that if you live in a pretty area of the world, you won't get ill. I know people complain about the services in cities, but in more rural areas its shocking.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I know that area of the world fairly well - Canford Cliffs is mega expensive and as CPU says, right next to Sandbanks, one of the most expensive real estate areas in the world. Seriously.
Poole borough council must get in massive whacks of money from council tax - maybe some of that could be used to help the situation.
Five psych ICU beds for the entire county is just bonkers though..... I seriously think sometimes these idiots reckon that if you live in a pretty area of the world, you won't get ill. I know people complain about the services in cities, but in more rural areas its shocking.
The local councils are corrupt.

Just down the road from Sandbanks is the wonderful boscombe - with some areas amongst the most socially deprived, poverty stricken, drug & crime ridden in the UK.

There's some incredible wealth disparity in these areas.

Mental health services in rural areas is shocking. It was even worse in Hampshire, & if 'you' move around a lot between Hampshire & Dorset, there are all kinds of fun & games in eligibility for services within catchment areas.

pepecat

pepecat

Mental health services in rural areas is shocking. It was even worse in Hampshire, & if 'you' move around a lot between Hampshire & Dorset, there are all kinds of fun & games in eligibility for services within catchment areas.
Yeah, the wealth disparity down in Poole /Bournemouth is crazy. It's the same as London, but in a much smaller area so it's kinda concentrated I guess, and much more obvious.

MH services in Devon and Cornwall aren't much better either.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i've heard a lot of local areas commisssioning the services that suit them, but can't help thinking it'll create a postcode lottery depending on who high up in the area has relatives with a certain illlnesss

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i've heard a lot of local areas commisssioning the services that suit them, but can't help thinking it'll create a postcode lottery depending on who high up in the area has relatives with a certain illlnesss
It is & always has been a postcode lottery anyway. As well as part popularity contest - in presenting the 'right' symptoms & conformity to the system to get treatment/attention.

Rowan

Rowan

It's ridiculous that there are only 5 beds. Shockingly bad.

Just down the road from Sandbanks is the wonderful boscombe - with some areas amongst the most socially deprived, poverty stricken, drug & crime ridden in the UK.
My friend lived near there when she was uni and it is a dump.