• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

No one has ever loved me in a way that made me feel loved

S

spooperdooper

My mother's love is overbearing, shows how insecure and afraid she is of losing me, makes me feel scared of leaving her for her own sake.

My father's love is scary. When I was small, if someone scared me then he would be violent towards them, he would fight people to protect me. When I showed that I was afraid, my mother insisted that he did these things because he loves me.

I have 2 friends, one I feel barely connected to and feel no love from. My other friend is my best friend, though the love I reveive from her feels more like pity. Like she is aware of how much I rely on her, and she just feels sorry for me.

S

siliconom

I think you are 'projecting' your own feelings onto those closest to you. Depression will make you feel this way.

Have you tried therapy?

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

It seems that both of your parents are protective of you. That seems like love to me. Am I wrong?

S

spooperdooper

I'm in therapy now, I actually had this realisation in our last session on Friday, but I feel too ashamed to resolve anything. It just feels so pitiful and lonely admitting my feelings. I know I won't resolve these issues if I don't try apeaking about it more in therapy, I'll try in our next session. These thoughts are just really getting to me tonight.

S

spooperdooper

It seems that both of your parents are protective of you. That seems like love to me. Am I wrong?
I agree, it is love, and I've always accepted it as love. It just doesn't make me feel loved, if that makes sense. I'm sure it's my issue and not there's, I just struggle to feel loved or wanted even when those around me are showing it in their own way.

S

siliconom

I think your condition is making you feel unloved. I think a lot of folk would kill to have parents like yours. I think a lot of folk would kill to have two parents living together these days!

You need to change your thought patterns which is the whole point of therapy. So be brave and speak up. Don't worry if you start crying. We all do

S

spooperdooper

I think your condition is making you feel unloved. I think a lot of folk would kill to have parents like yours. I think a lot of folk would kill to have two parents living together these days!

You need to change your thought patterns which is the whole point of therapy. So be brave and speak up. Don't worry if you start crying. We all do
Thank you. I need to remind myself that my thoughts aren't always my own when I'm depressed, and it can force me to believe things that aren't true. I'm having a particular hard night with these thoughts, but I'll keep trying.

S

siliconom

Have you ever tried doing meditation? It really really helps with those kinds of thoughts, by allowing you to separate yourself from them and instead if getting entangled with them, you can just watch them and say to yourself "what a crock of shit!"

Give it a try if you can but you need to do every day and it takes about two months to feel the positive effects. But I guarantee it will work. When depressed is the time you feel least able to do it but is in fact the best time to do it.

OCDguy

OCDguy

I agree, it is love, and I've always accepted it as love. It just doesn't make me feel loved, if that makes sense. I'm sure it's my issue and not there's, I just struggle to feel loved or wanted even when those around me are showing it in their own way.
I wonder if you have a expectation, a vision of what love is. Perhaps you could share that expectation etc. :)