• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

No one denies that psych meds are dangerous: why don’t prescribers monitor them?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
the people i see going on about the health risks of psychiatric drugs tend to be the same people who smoke 40 a day

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Do certain people recommend people come off meds without support in the world as it is

amathus

amathus

I acknowledge the comment about psychiatric drugs causing permanent damage to the kidneys...I unfortunately am living proof of that...fourteen years use of Lithium, despite being monitored to requirements, has left me with 'Chronic Kidney Disease'...nobody indicated to me in any depth that this could happen...

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
my mind befriender has largely avoided the mental health system but is now suffering from liver failure due to self medicating on various substances

Was wondering if i could find something clever to say

F

Fragile

I acknowledge the comment about psychiatric drugs causing permanent damage to the kidneys...I unfortunately am living proof of that...fourteen years use of Lithium, despite being monitored to requirements, has left me with 'Chronic Kidney Disease'...nobody indicated to me in any depth that this could happen...
I find this worrying. I'm sorry it happened to you QF. I hope it doesn't happen to me.

OobieMoobie

OobieMoobie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
All medications are dangerous, including psych meds.
The pharmaceutical industry just wants your money, they don't care if you get better or not.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
All medications are dangerous, including psych meds.
The pharmaceutical industry just wants your money, they don't care if you get better or not.

Doubt they're after my money, haven't got much, seems to me you have to get better to have money

OobieMoobie

OobieMoobie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
This was part of an article Apo posted some time back:

Atypical antipsychotics, once reserved for the most severely ill patients, are now the top revenue producer for drugs companies, helped by the psychiatric professions willingness to prescribe them to even two-year olds.
I don't deny that psychiatric drugs can be useful, sometimes even necessary (although I don't think many people need to be on them their whole life). However they should not be the first solution given.

Our society just has a habit of handing out drugs like sweeties, for physical ailments as well as mental health problems.

OobieMoobie

OobieMoobie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My computer decided that this information was so important you needed to read it twice.

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
and what would you do in this less than ideal world, some off us don't have the money for alternatives, assuming they'd work

OobieMoobie

OobieMoobie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I am one of those people who doesn't have the money for alternatives (and who has been completely let down by the support system that was supposed to be in place for me). I have kind of accepted that for now, and probably forever I'm stuck with what I have. I will not be going for drugs because:
a. they won't work, because I know my issues stem directly from things in my past
b. if we assume I would be prescribed anti depressants or anti anxiety meds, I would be risking the following side effects (there are many, I've selected a few):
Weight gain/increased appetite (which is serious for me as it would intensify my eating disorder and low self esteem)
high blood pressure (to a dangerous level)
dizziness, drowziness (which would make it incredibly difficult for me to continue my studies)
Problems with sex drive/pleasure (which I already suffer from and am striving to work through)
serotonin syndrome (potentially life threatening)
confusion
memory loss
loss of concentration
long term use of both can also lead to depression and anxiety, which of course makes perfect sense given that they're designed to stop anxiety.

Overall, I am struggling with my MH problems. I would however be struggling even more and functioning even less if I started using this 'medication'.