• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

No motivation

S

stresshead

I'm currently in the process of finishing my MA and as deadlines are approaching I can't seem to get my head together to sit down and work efficiently.
I have had mental problems beforehand and usually stick to sport and relaxation methods to get my energy levels up instead of medication but recently I couldn't get myself to excercise and I can't find an outlet for my tension which is why I'm writing here now.
I'm thinking to go to my gp to get antidepressant but would be thankful for any suggestions.
Thanks

Jo1760

Jo1760

Hi Stresshead,

Welcome to the forum - I hope you find it a useful place. There are loads of members you give great advice and support.

Motivaion is such a tough thing at times. Its something I really struggle with also. I find getting myself together to do things so difficult at times, even the most small/ tedious tasks seem to take superhuman strenght at times. To be honest I dont have any magic solution to how you can gain more motivation but going to see your GP is probably a really good idea, I hope that he/ she is able to advise you and give you support to help you feel a little better soon.

Sorry i can't be of more help I just wanted to wish you well and welcome you to the forum.

X

S

stresshead

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back and your support. I have been to the gp yesterday and his advice after I asked for pills was of a more practical nature, to plan ahead, try to relax and excercise. There are no pills for stress relief. (Even though I have read in newspapers that ritalin has become a popular stimulant among students in exam stress but I wouldnt want to try that)
I feel better in the meantime and managed to progress my work which brought back some motivation. I worked out, have eaten more and establish a better sleep pattern (I also worked nightshifts which was wearing my down as well at the time I guess) so fingers crossed I manage to work it through.
thanks

S

swan

I have big problems with motivation too..Just going to the kitchen for some water takes too much effort some days. I attempted meditation but i just couldnt switch off...I also tried doing exercise but i found it really hard to keep pushing myself to exercise, so i started doing some really simple yoga poses and it does help me. I try to do a bit every day just to break the cycle of not wanting to move and feeling your muscles stretch makes you feel pretty good if you can hold it for long enough. Something as simple as bending over and touching your toes (or the floor if you can reach) and holding it for 30 seconds really helps lift the heaviness in my head. I'll admit it takes perseverance to get a real kick out of it but you dont have to do much more than just that 30 seconds every day and it kinda helps.
Good luck with the studying, i envy your courage to take on such a task!

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I am currently at uni and having real motivation issues even though the goal is what I want finding it really hard. I ve had depression for about seven years.. but last year was my worst episode. I am not currently depressed but still stuggle with my mood at times. I have recently found telling someone how I was really feeling about the amount of work I have and my lack of motivation has really helped. i also had a really good cry. This helped to...

Take care and dont focus too much on the long term just go for the short term.

Intel x

S

stresshead

Thanks again for all the feedback and suggestions!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CitrusBell Other 2